Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My 95 Legacy LSi came with factory alloy wheels. They now seem to be peeling. It might not really be peeling, just some form of deterioration (bubbling) of the material at the edges. Is there anything that can be done for this? Is it just a cosmetic problem, or will it eventually become a safety issue?

• Like 1

My wheels did the same thing. It would never become a safety issue as long as its just the paint that is bubbling, which is probably is. You can get them sand blasted with the plastic sand so it doesn't reck your alloy wheels. The you ca do the painting yourself if you wanted. Just make sure you use primer first. And go to your local auto store and they will give you the best paint to use. I just used the paint in a spray can, used for rims and it worked awsome. Looked just like new.

Johnb102,

I've redone mags for several of my cars over the years. The best results are had with the tires removed from the mags, but, with care, you can do them with the tires mounted. I use ordinary furniture stripper (after marking and recording the wheel weight location and weight on the tire with a grease pencil). The stripper won't touch the rubber tire at all, and after 10 minutes of working, is neutralised with water. Dress with googles, rainsuit and boots and use a pressure washer to remove all of the finish and paint. Some sections may need to be redone, if you didn't get enough stripper on it the first time, but only after the mags are dry. At this point various polishing compounds and hand drill mounted buffing wheels get rid of the corrosion. Then wipe the mag with alcohol to remove any left over wax from polishing, mask the tire carefully at the mag wheel edge with tape, cover the tire, and you are ready for paint, clear coat, or both. My results have been good enough to last many years, look great, and has been very easy on the wallet.

I've got a 95 LSi as well (wagon). All aluminum wheels come with a clear coat sprayed on to protect them and all experience the peeling you speak of as they age. The peeling will get worse and your wheels will get uglier in time. If you own aluminum wheels you have to invest some extra care with them to prevent/postpone the peeling. As it worsens, your wheels will get tarnished/pitted where they are exposed. Mine have been peeling for some time. I'm going to strip them with Aircraft Stripper (from Wal-Mart or any parts store) and re-paint them with a clear coat from the local auto paint store. The wheels on our cars are just clear coated aluminum, so you won't want to spray primer/paint on them unless you want to get a different look. I couldn't find anyone who has done this before to give me advice, so I'll take pictures and let you know how the wheels turn out.