Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So a while ago i started to notice a 'rolling' noise in the back end of my 97 OBS. I jacked it up, and poped the rear wheels off, and the brake shoes, and turned the the axle, and the 'rolling noise' is still there. I was wondering if this was just a sign that i should get some grease in there ASAP or if they're already shot. I did the whole torque test and stuff and they seem to be holding out pretty well. Any thoughts?

The noise started when we were getting a ton of rain up in potsdam... so i'm guessing the bearings were packed in there w/ the packing grease, not wheel bearing grease...

eh?

If they're making noise chances are they are on the way out. New grease may quiet them for a bit, but if your in that far I'd just replace them.

AGAIN! :banghead:

i guess i should stop loading it like a truck.... or get a trailer hitch for it... mmm....

oh yeah, i've never really played w/ the bearings before, had a mechanic do it last time.. .how involved is it to dig them out?

I've never done the rears on a Sube, I know the EA cars need a special tool (you can make it), but not sure about the later EJ stuff (but I may find out soon, my Legacy is starting to rummble). Get a manual, even a Hayes or Chiltions (good investment) and check out the procedure to see if your up for it.

Gary

i've got all the service things that subaru put out... except they use all these fancy 'tools' like a 'slide hammer' (bearing puller?) and other things.. which i don't have... NAPA wants 98 bucks a piece for the rear bearings! is it just a straight legacy bearing swap? maybe they're cheaper than saying impreza bearing... eh?

I just checked the Timken catalogs, your Impreza lists a ball bearing for the rear, very wimpy. Legacy lists Timken inner bearing assembly 513248, probably a taper roller bearing. It doesn't list outer bearings for either Impreza or Legacy, is there's an outer? I'll check my Haynes when I get home, I've not had mine apart.