Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How to enable native Subaru Legacy Alarm

Hello,

Can anybody explain how to enable Subaru Legacy Outback(1998) native code alarm system. The problem is that I can't trigger alarm, I have tried to shake car, to open car without disabling alarm, but nothing happens.

In user manual says that car comes with CODE ALARM SYSTEM, but maybe it is only the name *ALARM*, maybe it cames with simple central lock system?

Thanks,

Tom

I have got info that

Code Alarm System

used on

Impreza through 2000 model

Legacy through 1998 model

Forester 1998 model

which does not has alarm at all, only central lock and imobilizer in the key.

Hello,

Can anybody explain how to enable Subaru Legacy Outback(1998) native code alarm system. The problem is that I can't trigger alarm, I have tried to shake car, to open car without disabling alarm, but nothing happens.

In user manual says that car comes with CODE ALARM SYSTEM, but maybe it is only the name *ALARM*, maybe it cames with simple central lock system?

Thanks,

Tom

Well, I'll ask you the same question that I asked Meeky Moose when he questioned the operation of the alarm on his '99 Legacy (even though '99 and newer cars use a different system than '98 and older):

If your 1998 Legacy Outback has the dealer-installed Code Alarm system, there should be a little red push-button/indicator lamp installed in the plastic "knock-out" panel just left of the fog lamp switch. So, does your car have that red push-button / indicator lamp installed there? If it doesn't, there's no Code Alarm system installed. This system was not native. It was available as a dealer-installed option. On our 1998 Outback Limited, the kit was shipped with the vehicle and it was listed on the window sticker as "Security System Upgrade" but back then the kit was installed when the vehicle arrived at the dealer.