Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

timing belt covers

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 pat hutt

pat hutt

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Christchurch

Posted 02 June 2005 - 02:23 AM

do i need my timing belt covers on my recon ea82t ive just spent ages makin the engine look mint and i dont want to cover up all my hard work i wont be drivng the brumby any where near gravel its guna be a show ka do i need the covers on to assit holdin the belts on or its it just to cover them and keep them protected . i realy dont want them on.. the belts wont slip off will they?

#2 calebz

calebz

Andys Coupe killed my cat

• Administrator
  • 7,547 posts
  • Tacoma

Posted 02 June 2005 - 03:06 AM

The belts won't slip off. The covers are there to protect the belts from debis and water.

That said, I don't have any covers either. With a total of 5 EA82s that I pulled parts from, I couldn't even get enough of the cover pieces to form one good set, so I ditched them. It does make for an interesting time lining the timing belts up though.

#3 Brumby Boy

Brumby Boy

ozzy subaru nut

• Members
  • 525 posts
  • Tsvl, QLD, Australia

Posted 02 June 2005 - 04:11 AM

a little of topic but you say this is gunna be a show car? A brumby? sweet can you post some pics?

PS: if you arn't going near much that can hurt the belts then who needs covers.

#4 pyromanic

pyromanic

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 482 posts
  • Central Oregon

Posted 02 June 2005 - 08:18 AM

An ancient debate, covers or no. There's pages of reading on it right here in the archives.

I don't like them, don't use them.

Pyro

#5 habib99

habib99

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 177 posts
  • Wales UK

Posted 02 June 2005 - 02:19 PM

I'm going with no covers -no inner covers either -so can get to the oil pump etc really easily :)

Am I right in thinking that the groove between the cover and the head block is where the hole in the sprocket should line up with (in the abscence of the notch in the inner cover)?

habib

#6 thealleyboy

thealleyboy

Subaru Derelict

• Members
  • 2,079 posts
  • Bexley, OH

Posted 02 June 2005 - 02:47 PM

I'm running naked belts on my EA82 cars. Haven't decided how I feel about doing this on my xt6. Much "busier" under the hood with those cars...

The advantages (easier servicing) far outweigh the possible disadvantages (premature wear) by a large margin, IMO.

I would reccomend running a skid/side plates and frequent engine bay cleanings if you decide to go naked.

good luck, John

#7 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,891 posts
  • WV

Posted 02 June 2005 - 03:05 PM

been running no covers on 2 XT6's for over a year (and i drive 30,000 + miles per year). no issues. i drive off road all the time too, mud, water, fields, corn stalks, grass, etc. no issues yet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users