Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Impreza - Will the 1.8 and 2.2 engines interchange?

This ties in with another question I posted. Can a 2.2 engine from either an Impreza or Legacy be swapped out with the 1.8 engine in an Impreza? I can find a lot more 1.8 Imprezas in my price range (cheap!) than I can 2.2 versions. Thanks.

Yes you can. Just swap the block and use your 1.8 intake and accessories on it. And run it off the 1.8 ecu. It’s an easy swap. You may need a different header depending on if the 2.2 is a single or dual port. It’s also possible to swap in a 2.5 phase1 without any rewiring. Search nasioc, a lot of people have done it on there.

OH I have another question about this subject regarding obd1 obd2... My impreza brighton being obd2 can I still swap the longblock out with a obd1 ej22 out of an old 90-94 legacy or do I have to swap it with obd2? I assume the blocks are identical and the intake ports match up and all that... I remember the intake manafolds being different?

Use the OBD-2 computer and wiring that is in your car, means you'll have to swap any sensors over that the OBD-1 car doesn't have, but the main differences with OBD1 and OBD2 are in the computer itself so you might not have too much trouble. And I know how slow those 1.8s are, couple that with an AT and it's even slower! Jessica's car barely holds 75 on the freeway, in fact it WON'T hold 75 (Will hold 80 though :brow:) and getting over the Summit between here and Cheyenne JUST PLAIN SUCKS, Semi trucks, diesel rabbits, adn geo metros pass me and sneer! lol

unless you want a CEL use both O2 sensors, the main thing is just swap the intake manifolds if the plugs are different on the engine harness. you could even swap engine harnesses, but thats kinda a bits to do. if EJ22 is sigle port, try to find a dual port, that way you can use your EJ18 exhaust header. should be pretty much plug and play, all the second 02 sensor is, is to tell the ecu what the 02 level is in AFTER the cat, the first one is before the cat if im not mistaken.

~Josh~

Hrm pretty mixed answers in those 3 topics. Seems the biggest question about it is will the 1.8l ecu run the 2.2l correctly or will it run rich, idle like crap, run like crap etc etc... Also the sensors are still a unclear thing to me. Thats what I hate about Nasioc you get a million different conflicting answers to one question and you never get a positive answer. I guess its like that on all forums though.:-\

OK, forgive my ignorance here, but I take it the 2.2 Impreza engine isn't the same as a 2.2 Legacy engine? If that's so, then I need to find a 2.2 from a Legacy (The goal is to go FAST, after all!), and install the 1.8 intake and fuel injection assembly on the 2.2 and then the wiring harness will all hook up? Have I got it about right? I've never laid a hand on an Impreza, so I'm totally in the dark here. Also, if I do this, my plan is to go with an auto tranny to make a better bracket drag racer. Are there any issues I need to know about there? Thanks again for the info.

Legacy and Impreza 2.2 should be the same for the same model year, AT to AT and MT to MT, with really insignificant exceptions (vacuum port for cruise control is the only thing that comes to mind right now).