Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Anyone near Grand Forks - help our son fix tranny?

Hello, our son is going to school out in North Dakota - studying to become a physical therapist. I'm here in Oregon, and he's using one of the family Subaru's - an '87 GL-10 turbo wagon with 5 speed manual transmission and the button on the gear shift knob to switch between 4-wheel drive and 2-wheel drive.

He neglected to check the tranny gear oil and it ran dry. He noticed the drain plug was loose so he tightened that, then filled the gear box with oil to the proper level.

When he got under the car again, the oil was pouring out. At first he thought it was the case bolts, but after tightening them, the leak remained. He looked closer and saw a crack in the case near the bottom seam.

The original symptoms that led me to suggest he check the gear oil was a "sound" in the transmission whenver he was in gear. So I'm suspecting that even if the leak was stopped by welding the case, something in the gear box is already toast.

I was wondering if any of you in his area might be willing to offer suggestions on who could get him a used transmission installed cheap - he's a student, remember.. 8-) Or maybe a Subaru home mechanic in that neck of the woods could help him work on it.

Thought I'd ask before I look into more elaborate schemes like flying or driving out to ND with my tools to do the work. Or trailering a replacement vehicle and hauling the disabled GL-10 back to my home garage.

Any insights, help, suggestions, or a used transmission cheap... very much appreciated.

-Rick

Well I'm a couple of states away and I might know where to find a tranny... Is he sure it's cracked, or is the case just loose? IF the car will move, he can probably get away with JB Welding the crack so the gear oil stays in and then driving it only when necessary until he gets a tranny. Where @ in ND is he at? My fiancee's mom grew up in Rugby, and I have a freind here at school who's from Bismark or at least near there. I THINK I still have my push button 5 speed out of my turbowagon back home but I cant' remember, I swapped to a dual range RX tranny cuz I hated that stupid pushbutton crap, but if I do still have it it's in Oregon at my parents house.. Drove through Burns on my way out to Wyoming last October (If ya saw a white and silver Dodge with a brown gen1 Brat on a U-Haul trailer that was me :D)

Hondasucks: Hey Andrew, thanks for the the feedback. Brett is going to UND in Grand Forks, ND. What year turbowagon did that push button 5-speed come out of? Where's it located in Oregon, is it in good condition, and how much do you want for it? I see you're in Laramie right now. We have a friend of the family going to school there, studying to become an automotive mechanic. Do you know Ben Nichols from Diamond, southeast of Burns, by any chance? If you run into him, tell him Hi from Rick Johnson. As for the crack in the case - at first Brett thought the leak was coming from the seam where the case halves join, but then he said he saw a "crack". I'll ask him to try JB weld. Sometimes that stuff has worked for me, sometimes not. I guess in this situation there won't be alot of pressure, since it's just holding gear oil. So that might allow him to get enough oil in there to use the car around town until he can get it repaired. Good idea. I'll see if I can get Brett to visit this Board and this post, himself, and offer some of his own thoughts. Appreciate your reply.

Numbchux: Matt, if any of your friends work on Subaru's, Brett is a quick learner and would be willing to pay and assist to get a used tranny installed in his car. He just needs the proper work place, tools, and guidance. He's got several weeks before he's done with Summer term, so he could work afternoons and weekends until the job's done. Thanks for checking with your friends. Maybe they know of some good wrecking yards in the area where the part could be found and possibly even installed. It used to be that some yards would pull a part and replace it with a used one for a modest fee. Let me know what you hear back. Thanks.

All: I checked with my neighbor, and he's willing to loan me his car trailer [again], if I need to haul a replacement car out to ND and retrieve the '87 GL-10 turbowagon. That'll cost me for fuel, but at least Brett would have reliable transportation, and I'd have the GL-10 home in my garage where I could install a good used tranny myself. I've replaced just about everything on a Subaru, *except* for the tranny, so I'll be searching this forum for tips and tricks, if and when it comes to that. Should be fun. I love working on these cars now that I have the time, the tools, and the space. It's good to see this board is still as friendly and knowledgeable as it was several years ago, when I first joined it. That was before it moved to ultimatesubaru.org. I posted a lot of advice for people then, and got a lot of great advice, especially from the guru's. Thanks to the Skipper, particularly, who was a great source of encouragement when I first started working on Subaru's.

I have a low mileage pushbutton turbo trans for sale. If your driving to ND, it might be easier to drive over and replace the trans rather than find/buy a car and drag a trailer all the way over and back. The trans replacement is very straight forward and can easily be done in 1 day.

This isn't really any help but if he ends up having to take it to a shop DO NOT let him go to the Goodyear shop there. I lived in GF for years and my Mom went to them to have a used engine put in her pinto and they totally Fked it up! She had to put it in R to drive and 1 to park!

I was a kid then but looking back I think they took out her good tranny and put in a crappy one that came with the used engine.

I HATE mechanics!!!!!!

well, unfortunately, most of these friends are useless morons when it comes to cars....BUT.....there's a good yard in alexandria minnesota that would probably have the tranny (that's where we got the tranny for my loyale when it needed it), and the tranny swap is a pretty straightforward job, if you have tools and a garage, making it virtually impossible for a college student, but easy/relatively cheap for a garage, have him call around the area and ask how much to replace a tranny with one you already have.

unfortunately all my friends are down here in the twin cities for summer break, so that probably won't help.

XSNRG: Let me know how much you want for the tranny, when you have a moment. I'm fairly confident I can do the job, myself, once I get my tools, parts, and workspace arranged. I have lots of tools and equipment here in Burns at the ranch to repair cars - I'm a hobby mechanic, now that I'm retired and have the time. But your idea about driving back to ND and doing the work seems tempting, too. I could drive our other Sube out, and it would get a lot better fuel mileage than my big GMC pickup pulling a trailer with a car loaded on top. Or I could borrow one of Kate's Geo Metros that get even better mpg - between 50 and 60, because a sube tranny and all my tools wouldn't weigh much more than a few hundred pounds. And, best of all, I could spend some time with our son. I haven't been back to Grand Forks to visit him, so that would be fun. I don't relish the long drive out and back, though. Do you think the airlines would allow me to take my tools on board, if I decided to fly out there? Anyone have any recent experience, post-9/11, with transporting their tools on a flight? I suppose the tranny would be too heavy to put in checked luggage, though, so I'd have to pay overweight charges, if they'd even let me bring it along... Doesn't the tranny weigh around 100 lbs or so? Good ideas. Thanks for your insights and offer.

1985GLWAGON: Thanks for the warning. Most mechanics are good folks just trying to earn a living like the rest of us. But some mechanics and some shops are bad news - dishonest and/or incompetent. Fortunately, I've encountered more of the former than the latter. I'm hoping our son, Brett, will visit this thread and read some of the posts, so he can see how much support there is out in the Subaru community. BTW, do you remember if there were any wrecking yards in Grand Forks? And, if so, do you recall their reputation?

[1985GLWAGON: Thanks for the warning. Most mechanics are good folks just trying to earn a living like the rest of us. But some mechanics and some shops are bad news - dishonest and/or incompetent. Fortunately, I've encountered more of the former than the latter. I'm hoping our son, Brett, will visit this thread and read some of the posts, so he can see how much support there is out in the Subaru community. BTW, do you remember if there were any wrecking yards in Grand Forks? And, if so, do you recall their reputation?

Sorry Rick I never got into cars at that age, and never really knew any yards at all up there. (I know, I know I'm Sooo helpful! ;) but anyway I didn't mean ALL mechanics are bad just all the ones I've met! LOL

.....there's a good yard in alexandria minnesota that would probably have the tranny (that's where we got the tranny for my loyale when it needed it),

Is that wrecking yard worth driving to to dig around in? I used to go to a yard near Baldwin, WI, but I think they are out of business. I can't find them anywhere and I don't want to drive there to find out. Anyway, let me know.

Tim

Is that wrecking yard worth driving to to dig around in? I used to go to a yard near Baldwin, WI, but I think they are out of business. I can't find them anywhere and I don't want to drive there to find out. Anyway, let me know.

Tim

I think so, I haven't been there in years, certainly not since we've owned any subies, but the owners know every car out there, and what's left on it, and we got a FWD 3AT for our loyale from up there, and I think there's another one there too, I'd have to check the phone book for more info at all....

Sounds like an adventure in the works...$75

XSNRG: Let me know how much you want for the tranny, when you have a moment. I'm fairly confident I can do the job, myself, once I get my tools, parts, and workspace arranged. I have lots of tools and equipment here in Burns at the ranch to repair cars - I'm a hobby mechanic, now that I'm retired and have the time. But your idea about driving back to ND and doing the work seems tempting, too. I could drive our other Sube out, and it would get a lot better fuel mileage than my big GMC pickup pulling a trailer with a car loaded on top. Or I could borrow one of Kate's Geo Metros that get even better mpg - between 50 and 60, because a sube tranny and all my tools wouldn't weigh much more than a few hundred pounds. And, best of all, I could spend some time with our son. I haven't been back to Grand Forks to visit him, so that would be fun. I don't relish the long drive out and back, though. Do you think the airlines would allow me to take my tools on board, if I decided to fly out there? Anyone have any recent experience, post-9/11, with transporting their tools on a flight? I suppose the tranny would be too heavy to put in checked luggage, though, so I'd have to pay overweight charges, if they'd even let me bring it along... Doesn't the tranny weigh around 100 lbs or so? Good ideas. Thanks for your insights and offer.

1985GLWAGON: Thanks for the warning. Most mechanics are good folks just trying to earn a living like the rest of us. But some mechanics and some shops are bad news - dishonest and/or incompetent. Fortunately, I've encountered more of the former than the latter. I'm hoping our son, Brett, will visit this thread and read some of the posts, so he can see how much support there is out in the Subaru community. BTW, do you remember if there were any wrecking yards in Grand Forks? And, if so, do you recall their reputation?

Sounds like an adventure in the works...$75

Good deal. Any chance of somehow getting it relayed to Portland, where we have a couple kids, either of which could bring it to us over here in Burns? Know anyone going down that way in the not-too-distant future?

Do you accept payment via paypal.com? If so, email me your payment email address.

Yes, it's looking more and more like I'll be the "Have Tools Will Travel" Dad once again... 8-)

Thanks, Rick

XSNRG,

How about shipping it to Burns or to Grand Forks? Any possibility of that?

Is it too heavy/bulky to send via UPS?

Got the following email from our son, Brett, this morning... fyi:

"Anyhow, I read the Suburu posts and was

really surprised how many people out there offer suggestions. Sounds

like a good deal on the Tranmission for sale. I'd be more than happy to

pay for it. I'll try the JB weld

idea as soon as I feel the crack has dried up little. Another

possibility, if you didn't want to drive over here and an airline

wouldn't allow a transmission on board is the J-man. He said if he has

some time off work he might be willing to come over so perhaps he and I

could put the tranmission in. Of course, I can still check junk yards

around the Grand forks area for transmissions also.

Brett"

"J-man", as Brett calls him, is our youngest son, Jeromy. He works for the BLM during the summer fighting fires, and, of course, drives a Subaru... a 2002 turbo WRX. Nice car. I'm jealous, except when I try to show him some off road area where we've elk hunted in the past, and his fancy car is so low to the ground he has to walk ahead and clear stones! That's when I'm glad I've got the clearance in our GL wagon.... 8-)

Anyone have any other ideas for 5-speed 4x4 [push button] transmission in or around Grand Forks, ND or Burns, OR?

Brett's coming home in mid July on the train, so if the JB weld fix doesn't solve the problem, it would be nice to send a good used transmission back on the train with him.

Any insights/help would be greatly appreciated.

Good deal. Any chance of somehow getting it relayed to Portland, where we have a couple kids, either of which could bring it to us over here in Burns? Know anyone going down that way in the not-too-distant future?

Do you a...ccept payment via paypal.com? If so, email me your payment email address.

Yes, it's looking more and more like I'll be the "Have Tools Will Travel" Dad once again... 8-)

Thanks, Rick

Sounds like you might be leaning in a different direction, but if it helps I might be able to pick up XSNRG's tranny and bring it to Portland next week. Approximately Wednesday, June 22 (give or take a day), I will be driving from Seattle area to Northern California, bringing me through both Olympia and Portland.

theres a whole running car

88 wagon d/r 5spd great rubber for sale 600.00 (no trailer hitch)

plus spare engine/trans/etc

[/url]

dave is a great guy located in the city of Biscay near Glencoe...

http://www.mapquest.com/directions/main.adp?go=1&do=nw&rmm=1&un=m&cl=EN&ct=NA&rsres=1&1ahXX=&1y=US&1a=&1c=grand+forks&1s=nd&1z=&2ahXX=&2y=US&2a=&2c=biscay&2s=mn&2z=

djprieve@hotmail.com

320-583-2316

not a terrible drive considering

Sounds like you might be leaning in a different direction, but if it helps I might be able to pick up XSNRG's tranny and bring it to Portland next week. Approximately Wednesday, June 22 (give or take a day), I will be driving from Seattle area to Northern California, bringing me through both Olympia and Portland.

Jeffroid: Hey thanks! See your email. Rick

Humble Nuto 53: Thanks for the information. We'll consider that an option, as well. Much obliged.

i would entertain the idea of going out there to fix it, how far would that be from milwaukee, wisconsin?

its possible i could come up with a tranny here if i go east to do this work and tow some subarus across states

anyway i would do it for the price of gas and include the tranny with a price should i get the tranny myself

milesfox@yahoo.com

Hey MilesFox, thanks for the offer. I've sent you email. I'm currently working to get ahold of Mark to pay for the transmission he's offered to sell us. Your help in getting that part or another one installed would be appreciated. I'll send you an email to discuss details. Much obliged, Rick

Hey XSNRG - did you get my payment?

Jeffroid - have you communicated with Justin and Mark, yet, regarding picking up and dropping off transmission?

I asked Brett to check the records of previous owner to see when the clutch was last replaced. If we can't find a recent clutch job, I'll order a new clutch, as well. I did a lot of work on his GL-10 when it was out here in Oregon, but not a clutch job. Good time to get that in, I suppose - while the tranny is out.