Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Anyone near Grand Forks - help our son fix tranny?

Yes, things are pretty much all set up. All I have to do is figure out exactly when I am going to be able to get out of town so Justin and I can figure out when to meet up. I'm guessing now Tuesday morning. Depends on how the next couple of days go.

Hey XSNRG - did you get my payment?

Jeffroid - have you communicated with Justin and Mark, yet, regarding picking up and dropping off transmission?

I asked Brett to check the records of previous owner to see when the clutch was last replaced. If we can't find a recent clutch job, I'll order a new clutch, as well. I did a lot of work on his GL-10 when it was out here in Oregon, but not a clutch job. Good time to get that in, I suppose - while the tranny is out.

Sounds good, Jeff. I'm thinking I'll probably have the tranny here by next weekend, if Justin comes over with a load of his stuff, that is..

Then, I need to get a new clutch kit and figure out best way to get the parts out to Grand Forks, ND so either I or MilesFox or someone else can do the install.

MilesFox, I sent you email regarding the install --- surely appreciate your offer to help, if you can. Date may slip to early July or late August, though, as Brett is coming home for a month in mid July. If that won't work for you, then I'll need to figure something else out.

Do any of you know of someone who might be headed east from Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana, or Northern California and passing through North Dakota in the not-too-distant future? Maybe I could get them to take a Subaru transmission and clutch kit with them... no, that would be just too much luck.. 8-)

A super great group here. -Rick

Hey Jeff,

Thanks a bunch for delivering the transmission from XSNRG's to our son in Portland. He said that went great. Wish you would have accepted the money for gas, but you didn't. So I still owe you! Or maybe I can help another person on the board sometime.

Justin plans to bring it over here to Burns next Wednesday. Then I guess I'll drive out to Grand Forks and do the install. Turns out that's about the most cost effective way to handle this. I can drive all the way there and back for the cost of the shipping one way. Amazing...

Anyone on the route from Burns, Oregon to Grand Forks, ND who would like to come along and share driving, some BS, and maybe a little wrench turning? Here's the linke to the route I'll most likely take:

http://www.mapquest.com/directions/main.adp?go=1&do=nw&rmm=1&un=m&cl=EN&ct=NA&rsres=1&1ahXX=&1y=US&1a=&1c=Burns&1s=OR&1z=&2ahXX=&2y=US&2a=&2c=Grand+Forks&2s=ND&2z=

Later, Rick

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I decided to deliver the tranny in our Geo Metro, so there won't be any room for a fellow Subaruder, unfortunately.

I'm still trying to figure out the easiest way to get the tranny out and the replacement in.

Moosens and others provided some great information on this subject at:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=14751&page=3&pp=10

It's an old thread, but has lots of good ideas.

Still can't figure out how Moosens did his install, though. I even pulled our '86 Subaru carbed 5sp wagon - 4x4 D/R on the pavement and jacked it up on the driver's side like he said. Placed jackstand under for safety. Then got under, and it looks to me like there's not much room to leave either of the crossmembers in there and still get the tranny leveraged in place. I must be missing something in his description. I'm a little slow at times.. Most of the time, in fact. 8-)

Anyway I've reviewed the repair manual and the threads on USMB, and I've been trying to go through the swap in my mind... so I've got an idea of how to proceed and will take most everything I'll need on this long trip.

I should be on the road early Wednesday 7/6 and arrive in North Dakota late on the 7th. I'll have several days to get the old tranny out and install the one I got from XSNRG via Jeffroid.

If anyone has any additional ideas/insights regarding this task, please post them or send me email.

If you're interested, I'll let you know how it all turned out.

Later, Rick