Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

97 Outback Sport timing belt

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,802 posts
  • WV

Posted 03 June 2005 - 08:41 AM

67,000 miles 2.2 1997 OBS. doing the timing belts next week. didn't see anything in the repair section of the site or doing a search, are there any good write ups/pictures of replacing the timing belts? lots of t-belt questions, but not many details.

i'm definitely replacing the tensioner and cam seals as well. should i do the water pump or oil pump seals while i'm in there or let them go until the next t-belt change? how often do the water pumps fail? anything else to address while i'm in there?

i've done 100 ER27 timing belts so i'm not too worried about it, but a little sketched out working on an interference motor so just trying to read up as much as i can.

thanks!

#2 Smpol19

Smpol19

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 215 posts
  • Nothern, VA / Long Island

Posted 03 June 2005 - 09:51 AM

On my 2001 Impreza OBS 2.2 the timing belt is schudaled for 105,000 miles not shure when they changed to this but you may want to double check.

#3 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,802 posts
  • WV

Posted 03 June 2005 - 09:58 AM

thanks for the heads up, i'll check for future reference. for now, even if it is 105,000 i'm ready to change it out. i inspected it yesterday and it doesn't pass my visual inspection.

#4 BigMattyD

BigMattyD

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 405 posts
  • Syracuse, NY

Posted 03 June 2005 - 10:58 AM

http://endwrench.com...BeltEWWin05.pdf

This should help a lot.

matt

#5 svxpert

svxpert

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 777 posts
  • East Coast

Posted 03 June 2005 - 11:12 AM

67,000 miles 2.2 1997 OBS. doing the timing belts next week. didn't see anything in the repair section of the site or doing a search, are there any good write ups/pictures of replacing the timing belts? lots of t-belt questions, but not many details.

i'm definitely replacing the tensioner and cam seals as well. should i do the water pump or oil pump seals while i'm in there or let them go until the next t-belt change? how often do the water pumps fail? anything else to address while i'm in there?

i've done 100 ER27 timing belts so i'm not too worried about it, but a little sketched out working on an interference motor so just trying to read up as much as i can.

thanks!

no need to replace the tensioner, they don't go bad unless there damaged. do the cam, and crank seals, re-seal the oil pump. you might want to do the water pump because when you get the 105,000 belt on, the water pump will be that much older.

#6 Olnick

Olnick

Ol' Subaru Guy

• Members
  • 2,580 posts
  • Honolulu HI

Posted 03 June 2005 - 11:40 AM

Does anyone know if there is a physical difference between 60k and 105k timing belts? Materials? Composition? Design?

Or is the difference simply because California demanded the longer interval and maybe Subaru was too conservative to begin with?

#7 NOMAD327

NOMAD327

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 343 posts
  • danville, PA

Posted 03 June 2005 - 12:57 PM

There may be something to the California issue with belt interval.
I owned a Mitsubishi in the past and the entire model lineup was 60,000 miles. They even had big signs throughout the showroom warning you of the requirement. Same vehicle was sold in California with 100,000 mile change interval.

As to the waterpump, on an interference engine, I would think twice about not changing it. These pumps are not known for premature failure, but should the pump seize up, the timing belt will fail almost immediately. If I did go to the trouble to change it out, I would use only a Subaru pump. The tensioner seems to hold up on these so long as it's not showing any signs of trouble, the idlers should all be inspected for trouble, but will probably be OK. The crank oil seals are a real problem and for a couple bucks really needs to be done, along with the o-ring between the oil pump and the block. check the screws on the back of the oil pump tight and probably loctite them as well.

#8 ferret

ferret

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 669 posts
  • Northern NJ

Posted 03 June 2005 - 01:02 PM

Here's an answer to your 1st, and subsequent questions:

http://endwrench.com...BeltEWWin05.pdf

#9 TheBrian

TheBrian

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 270 posts
  • Buffalo

Posted 03 June 2005 - 06:26 PM

Beck-Arnley offers two timing belts for my 2.2L SOHC. A Fed-spec "neoprene", and a Cal-spec "highly saturated nitrile". I'm no rubber engineer, so I can't tell you whether you can expect a significantly longer service interval with the California belt. But they are different belts, at least in Beck-Arnley.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users