Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Well put my car on a lift last week and noticed I had fresh oil on the bottom of the valve covers, upon further inspection I realized it's coming from the heads. It's an external leak, I cant find oil or coolant going into anything else (tho there is a small chance I may be leaking oil into the exhaust, I keep smelling burning oil but no smoke, it's that or the oil is burning up when it hits the exhaust manifold) we're not talking a huge leak either- about a quart a week. How long do you think it'll keep like this? I've pretty much spent this month's money that wasnt supposed to go to bills (and naturally, that's where my money went, damn bills) I know the head gasket isnt much (like 40 bucks, dont need the set considering I just replaced the valve covers not even 4 mo ago) but the problem is getting the time to do it once I do get the 40 bucks. And since the oil isnt going anywhere but on the ground will I have any issues just driving it like this for a while? I asked my teacher about it and he said just to keep checking on my fluids every 2-3 days, just in case.

I don't think it's the head gasket, but more likely the valve cover gaskets. Those are cheap and easy to replace, but not an emergency.

You could let it leak oil for a while without hurting anything.

There are only three bolts holding each cover to the head. There is a rubber gasket that seats in a groove on the valve cover.

I would buy a can of engine degreaser first and clean the areas around the valve covers. You need to remove the battery and windshield washer reservoir on the driver's side to get at the valve cover easily. You need to move the air filter housing on the passenger side.

Other than that, it is a simple remove/replace job. Make sure you clean the seating areas for the gaskets before you reinstall them. It shouldn't take more than 1.5 to 2 hrs to do both.

Matt D

Probably the rear cam plug oring, it is located on the back of the passenger side head. I can give you the part # if you want. Leaks on the back and down onto the engine cradle and then onto the exhaust.

But if you have a high mileage vehicle it is possible the heads, how bad are they leaking and how much does it smell were determine how soon it needs to be done. Loyale's can leak at the heads and cam cases for years.

Oil leak from HG on an EJ22 is pretty unlikely.

But please take note: Poster says he replaced the rocker cover gaskets four months ago!

I would second the motion to degrease the engine and then check again to be sure of the source. Camshaft seal sounds likely.

1)I'm a she

2) I have cleaned the engine up completely and it's coming from the heads (the pass side is leaking a bit more than the drivers) I do this every time I think there's a leak, so it's been cleaned up 3 or 4 times now, it doesnt have a huge buildup of oil and dirt (except for the last time I played in the mud with it, but the car got a really good bath after that one) The leak is coming from the back side of the head gaskets (and btw yes I have high miles, I'm looking around 260k now, and 22k of it I put on the car since I got it in january) And so far I cant find anything that's been replaced on the car other than what I've done myself other than whatever they did with the intake system- there's placement marks on stuff.

Either way I cant se it being the cam shaft seal if both sides are leaking, if anything it may be leaking in addition. The leak trails from the head gaskets onto the ends of the valve covers then down onto the exhaust manifold as far as I can tell. I have to wait until monday to get it on a lift so I can look at it again