Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The "Must Have" OEM parts for EA82 - The definitive list begins.......

Ok guys, I can't find anywhere that lists the "must have" EA82 oem parts...where those after-market parts just don't do the trick. You can find bits and pieces of wisdom in threads, but no comperhensive list.

I found out the hard way that one MUST HAVE OEM part is:

PCV VALVE

Carry on, wise ones.... list away

PCV valve

Thermostat ( and retain same temp )

Distributor caps and rotors for Hitachi models

Oil Filter

Engine bearings (manufactured by NOK?? for Subaru) alot of bearing companies

rebox with ?NOK?

Not a must, but better of with:

EA-81 Clutch cables

EA-82 V/C gasket kits

Front brake pads w/kits

Timing belts

Carbureted air filters encased in metal not rubber

Fuel filters by Nippon-Micro (for Subaru)

I believe in OE equipment, that that doesn't always mean you have to buy from the dealership. Many parts are manufactered by a company for Subaru. So the OE waterpump for most GL/Loyales is a Paraut/Atsugi with the 8mm hole. You can save over $20 by buying it at a parts store rather than the dealership. Most seals are made by NOK, and when in doubt always buy from the dealership.

I disagree about the Spark Plugs, buy NGK from a parts store and save yourself money, they are EXACTLY the same, the big box that NGK come in says made in Japan, the 4 spark plug box says made in the US and the small single box spark plug says Made in Japan. They are a multination company, you really don't know where the Subaru ones are made now. Mike, just because you have had one bad experience with the ones bought at the part store, you have bought from the dealership, but my father who is a Subaru mechanic who has work at the dealership for 20 years has had plenty of bad NGK that have came in a Subaru box.

• 9 years later...

PCV valve

Thermostat ( and retain same temp )

Distributor caps and rotors for Hitachi models

Oil Filter

Engine bearings (manufactured by NOK?? for Subaru) alot of bearing companies

rebox with ?NOK?

Not a must, but better of with:

EA-81 Clutch cables

EA-82 V/C gasket kits

Front brake pads w/kits

Timing belts

Carbureted air filters encased in metal not rubber

Fuel filters by Nippon-Micro (for Subaru)

I've been told on this forum that Fram is the OEM oil filter..... I guess that is bad?

I've been told on this forum that Fram is the OEM oil filter..... I guess that is bad?

There is a lot of separation on this issue. FRAM got a bad rep at some point in time and now everyone assumes they suck. In reality,their ultra filters are some of the best you can buy for the money. They have fiberglass media with a wire mesh screen for added support. They have A silicone bypass valve. And they have metal end caps. Their extra guard isn't that bad either, my family has used the extras for 20+ years on a variety of vehicles, all of which are still running perfectly. Although the construction and filtration is not as good as the on the eXtra guard than it is on the Ultra Guard.

Edited by Sapper 157
  • Like 2

Regarding Oil Filter, I have thirty years using Purolator 10028 on my Subaru "BumbleBeast"

The only time I placed the Luber-Finer equivalent, my Sublie literally Blown it away ...  :o ...

The reason was the short thread located deeper on the filter's base, never screw all the way.

By the way, the 10028 is an inch shorter than the recommended, everything else is identical.

No issues after thirty years and almost 400K miles so far and counting...

Kind Regards.

Many parts boxed by beck arnley and likely others are just lot buy out NOS subaru stuff. Seals. mounts and ball joints from B/A are usually in a genuine subaru bag inside the box.

Another item that makes the list imo is intake manifold gaskets. On the ea81s the aftermarket ones suck.