Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The "Must Have" OEM parts for EA82 - The definitive list begins.......

I wish I could...

In fact a couple of Great Friends here, in USMB invited me, but I lost my Job almost a year ago, and I have a family to care ... so being tight on money impedes me to go to many places... For the Lucky ones that could go, don't forget to share Photos with us.

Kind Regards.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Most of the important OE-required parts are covered, but I do want to mention ball joints and tie rods. For the price, cheaper than the Moog brand and I had 23 years and 130K on the OE joints. Can't complain about that.

my tie rod steering ball joints were shot beyond belief when i first got my vehicle, swapped one from a gl-10 at the junkyard and the main balljoint at the end of the A arm that holds everything seems to have very little play, seems fine for now but im sure the play will just get worse through time, and this is on a 215,xxx GL.

Some years ago, I purchased a 555 brand, ball joint; three five is a well known Japanese brand of aftermarket parts, but then, I found out that it was a counterfeit chinese product on the hard way: it did not lasted a Week!  :banghead:

sorry you experienced that, especially since you probably have to order everything online and wait a week to 4 weeks and then find out its junk..

• 4 months later...

Does anyone know who makes the thermostats that Subaru sells in their cars?

I know I got one a few years ago, from an online supplier.  I needed a T-stat, and just put it on the list with a few other items.  The one that came was made in Japan, and an identical match for the original.  It worked perfectly.  But I can't remember  the name on the box.   That supplier no longer lists a T-stat for these vehicles, so that is not an option.

Anyone out there knwo who makes these things?

Thanks.

Fuji Heavy Industries makes the OEM t-stats. They are the ones who make Subarus. anything you see with a crescent moon thing stamped on it is OEM from FHI. 

Yes, but Fuji is rarely the actual manufacturer.  For instance...

Rod and Main Bearings: almost all are/were NDC.

Rings: NPR

NOK is a frequent supplier to Fuji for things like idler bearings.

Paraut makes many pumps for them.

This list goes on...also, many Mazda parts are interchangeable with Subaru, but I couldn't tell you which except lifters and internal transmission parts.

Emily

Exactly what Emily said.  Car manufacturers don't build cars so much as assemble them.  They specify many parts from catalogues from sub-contractors, sometimes they specify parts particular to the vehicle and have them made by others under contract.  Often, the manufacturer will have more than one supplier, so they aren't screwed if one supplier gets flooded out, or has some other disaster.  It would really suck if you couldn't build cars because your T-stat supplier was having problems, say.  They don't put all their eggs in one basket. 

So, has anyone noted a manufacturer's name on a stock T-stat?  Or on one that looked and worked as well as stock? I tried to get a Stant Xactstat, but it looks like the online supplier can't get it after all.

I have a non-stock one right now, and the car does not warm up quickly, nor does it idle or behave properly, especially when not at full temperature.  The T-stat is the first item on the list of things to play with, to see if it can be made to work correctly.

I figured out who makes them.  The t-stat manufacturer is Tama.   The Tama part number is W54E-82.

There don't seem to be any in North America. 

The Stant Exactstat is Stant 48539.  They are a little easier to come by here, but not much.

Edited by robm