Ultimate Subaru Message Board

After more inspection of my 200$ 92 legacy i found more rust under back wheel wells. No rust on main frame just some on jacking points. (I never use those points anyway i use hydrolic on frame its self) A couple of weeks ago i read a foram about some stuff you can get that you spray on and the next day the rust will turn gray or black. Since i plan on fixing this rust i would like to get rid as much as possible with out to much cutting or grinding. Does anyone know the name of this rust remover? How well does it work, will it stop the rust from spreading? Thanks again for all your help! icon7.gif

Hey Wintersubaru, I see your located in the Pickurnose mountains.

I'm in CT. and I recently discovered a rust prone area on a 93 Legacy.

Look behind the right rear tire. You actually need to get under the car from the back and look forward. What you are looking for is the gas filler tube as it comes down from the fender. It is "protected" by a black plastic shield that in the lower turn in the pipe actually traps road dirt, sand and salt and very predictably will rust through your gas filler line (about $150 part) so pull the plastic back and rinse the crap out of there. Learning this the hard way, I had developed two pinhole leaks but was able to seal them with an epoxy made specifically to fix gas line, tanks and radiators ($3 from Autozone).

Hey Wintersubaru, I see your located in the Pickurnose mountains.

I'm in CT. and I recently discovered a rust prone area on a 93 Legacy.

Look behind the right rear tire. You actually need to get under the car from the back and look forward. What you are looking for is the gas filler tube as it comes down from the fender. It is "protected" by a black plastic shield that in the lower turn in the pipe actually traps road dirt, sand and salt and very predictably will rust through your gas filler line (about $150 part) so pull the plastic back and rinse the crap out of there. Learning this the hard way, I had developed two pinhole leaks but was able to seal them with an epoxy made specifically to fix gas line, tanks and radiators ($3 from Autozone).

Thanks i wil look at that tommorow. Stuff like that is good info but for the price i paid if i need one i will just have my bud in A.Z. to send a rust free one. Thats why jacking points rusted dirt and stuff got inside of body shell in front of rear tires and held moisture. Not a big problem will probaly put por 15 on it then fiberglas in many layers bit allso drill holes to let any water that gets in drain out. Had 79 V.W dasher i got for free and both frame rails around front wheels where rusted the guy that gave it to me fiberglassed the heck out of it and it lasted another two years. Im sure if he would have treated the rust to keep it from spreading it would have lasted longer but the rust kept going up to the strut towers so it was the end of it.icon7.gif