Ultimate Subaru Message Board

where do i get L series turbo motor and tranny?

i have just bought an 84 sports wagon, and it is in awesome condition, but bein the original motor and tranny, they are gettin a bit tired. how hard is it to pick up an L series turbo to replace original motor, and what mods need to be done to make it fit? this car is in that good condition that i want to keep it. i would appreciate any feedback that anyone can give.......

Hi, im also from the great land down under looking for a turbo conversion

My first advice would be to join the Ausubaru.com forum and keep and eye out on there, (actually there is a post there now on it called " EA82T into Carby 85 Wagon"

Second, do a search on here and ausubaru cos this is a very common topic

Hope this helps

Cheers

Gannon

Gannon, he is looking for an EA81T, not an EA82T, they are a little harder to find. It might be easier to have the engine rebuilt or get an EA81 short block and replace the piston with turbo pistons (EA82T psitons will work but they have a slightly lower compression ratio then the EA81T do).

Hi, im also from the great land down under looking for a turbo conversion

My first advice would be to join the Ausubaru.com forum and keep and eye out on there, (actually there is a post there now on it called " EA82T into Carby 85 Wagon"

Second, do a search on here and ausubaru cos this is a very common topic

Hope this helps

Cheers

Gannon

Sorry, i didn't realise he said 84.

But be it the EA82T or EA81T, the conversion should be pretty much the same and its not that differnt to putting the EA82T into an EA81 car, is it?

I still say your best bit would be to go to Ausubaru.com cos there is local information there as well as locals which can help you.

Cheers

Gannon

Sorry, i didn't realise he said 84.

But be it the EA82T or EA81T, the conversion should be pretty much the same and its not that differnt to putting the EA82T into an EA81 car, is it?

I still say your best bit would be to go to Ausubaru.com cos there is local information there as well as locals which can help you.

Cheers

Gannon

The EA82 is a much wider engine then the EA81 because of the overhead cams versus the overhead valves. To install it in an EA81 series car might involve cutting the frame rails so there is clearence when the engine torques.

Not so sure about that corky.

Didn't Oz get the EA82 style in 84.. Kinda like they got the Legacy in 89?

The USA got the Legacy in 89 also, there have been a few pop up lately in wrecking yards around here. I thought about the fact that Oz might have gotten the EA82 earlier, but then remembered that Oz usually don't get the first year of Japanese cars. The WRX was first released in Japan in 93, Oz didn't get it until 94.