Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

where do i get L series turbo motor and tranny?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 zenboyzee

zenboyzee

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • inverell

Posted 05 June 2005 - 05:29 AM

i have just bought an 84 sports wagon, and it is in awesome condition, but bein the original motor and tranny, they are gettin a bit tired. how hard is it to pick up an L series turbo to replace original motor, and what mods need to be done to make it fit? this car is in that good condition that i want to keep it. i would appreciate any feedback that anyone can give.......

#2 ausubaru92

ausubaru92

Turbo Talker

• Members
  • 583 posts
  • Bowraville NSW Australia

Posted 06 June 2005 - 01:22 AM

Hi, im also from the great land down under looking for a turbo conversion

My first advice would be to join the Ausubaru.com forum and keep and eye out on there, (actually there is a post there now on it called " EA82T into Carby 85 Wagon"

Second, do a search on here and ausubaru cos this is a very common topic

Hope this helps

Cheers

Gannon

#3 Dr. RX

Dr. RX

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 9,984 posts
  • Sammamish, WA

Posted 06 June 2005 - 07:47 AM

Gannon, he is looking for an EA81T, not an EA82T, they are a little harder to find. It might be easier to have the engine rebuilt or get an EA81 short block and replace the piston with turbo pistons (EA82T psitons will work but they have a slightly lower compression ratio then the EA81T do).

Hi, im also from the great land down under looking for a turbo conversion

My first advice would be to join the Ausubaru.com forum and keep and eye out on there, (actually there is a post there now on it called " EA82T into Carby 85 Wagon"

Second, do a search on here and ausubaru cos this is a very common topic

Hope this helps

Cheers

Gannon

#4 calebz

calebz

Andys Coupe killed my cat

• Administrator
  • 7,547 posts
  • Tacoma

Posted 06 June 2005 - 09:01 AM

Not so sure about that corky.

Didn't Oz get the EA82 style in 84.. Kinda like they got the Legacy in 89?

#5 samo

samo

Boo.

• Members
  • 731 posts
  • The Emerald City

Posted 06 June 2005 - 10:18 AM

I thought L-series was Aussie-speak for the EA82, and MY-series was EA81, in which case, he would be looking for an EA82T, right?

#6 Phizinza

Phizinza

Yip yip

• Members
  • 3,931 posts
  • South Australia

Posted 06 June 2005 - 10:21 AM

I saw a EA82 turbo (with out tranny) going on ebay.com.au, might still be trying to sell it, $1000 or something... Anyway, good luck with looking for one.

#7 ausubaru92

ausubaru92

Turbo Talker

• Members
  • 583 posts
  • Bowraville NSW Australia

Posted 07 June 2005 - 02:11 AM

Sorry, i didn't realise he said 84.

But be it the EA82T or EA81T, the conversion should be pretty much the same and its not that differnt to putting the EA82T into an EA81 car, is it?

I still say your best bit would be to go to Ausubaru.com cos there is local information there as well as locals which can help you.

Cheers

Gannon

#8 LPGsuperchargedBrumby

LPGsuperchargedBrumby

Fully retarded and low on compression

• Members
  • 662 posts
  • Dunedin, NZ

Posted 07 June 2005 - 02:29 AM

you could always do what i did and look for a rusted out turbo L series then buy it for a song (or a couple of dozen...) :drunk: :drunk: :banana:

#9 Dr. RX

Dr. RX

• Members
  • 9,984 posts
  • Sammamish, WA

Posted 07 June 2005 - 07:06 AM

Sorry, i didn't realise he said 84.

But be it the EA82T or EA81T, the conversion should be pretty much the same and its not that differnt to putting the EA82T into an EA81 car, is it?

I still say your best bit would be to go to Ausubaru.com cos there is local information there as well as locals which can help you.

Cheers

Gannon

The EA82 is a much wider engine then the EA81 because of the overhead cams versus the overhead valves. To install it in an EA81 series car might involve cutting the frame rails so there is clearence when the engine torques.

#10 Dr. RX

Dr. RX

• Members
  • 9,984 posts
  • Sammamish, WA

Posted 07 June 2005 - 07:09 AM

Not so sure about that corky.

Didn't Oz get the EA82 style in 84.. Kinda like they got the Legacy in 89?

The USA got the Legacy in 89 also, there have been a few pop up lately in wrecking yards around here. I thought about the fact that Oz might have gotten the EA82 earlier, but then remembered that Oz usually don't get the first year of Japanese cars. The WRX was first released in Japan in 93, Oz didn't get it until 94.

#11 FirstSubaruGLwagon

FirstSubaruGLwagon

YHWH is life

• Members
  • 458 posts
  • Wilmington

Posted 09 June 2005 - 12:05 AM

here's a nice complete drive train , with a fair body with some rust but it has a factory sun roof ...

http://www.ultimates...ead.php?t=37246

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users