Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Anyone else do the water cleaning trick?

This past weekend I did the trick that I saw posted (drawing some water into an intake vacuum line) - and sure enough it smoothed my idle and made the engine quieter - and made starting quicker. I was very apprehensive about throwing water in the cylinders, but dang it sure made a difference. Anyone else have good luck with it?:banana:

I tried it on my wife's 1993 Legacy and we could both tell a big difference. It had about 140000 miles on it then and we're the 2nd owners...so I don't know if the previous owners had the carbon build-up removed before.

Where do you purchase a good quality "top engine cleaner"?

the factory service manual recommends unplugging the hose from the idle air controller, then inserting the tube from the top engine cleaner while holding the rpms above 2k. let it run for 5 minutes after it stops smoking (white smoke from the exhausts).

they recommend:

Part No. 1050002 GM Top Engine Cleaner

Part No. X66-A AC Delco Carburetor Tune-up Conditioner

i'm not exactly sure who's part # these are, but that's how it is given in the book...

At the Toyota dealer I work at, they have a engine cleaner kit that works in the same way theotherskip described.

I was stupid in trying to introduce it to the engine by the brake booster hose :-\ . That won't work because that hose is attached to a single intake runner and that one cylinder will suck the whole thing down. So I got smart and pulled the purge valve hose off the throttle body.

It didn't seem to run that much better, so I might not have had much carbon build-up in the first place:D

In the old days we used Berrymans B-12 for that carb-sucking, choke it to stall with the last half bottle- routine. Tehn let it sit for a while. I guess the Berrymans would sit there and help loosen crap. I've heard of a guy that used beer!. It may just be the shock that knocks the carbon off. I suspect you'd get a good idea if it would help by looking for carbon/soot on your plugs first though.

Carl

1 Lucky Texan

Boy, ATF in the carb and Berryman bring back some great old memorys!! I remember getting hair singed from staring into a carb to see if it was getting enough gas while reving it and having it backfire through the carb. I learned a lesson on troubleshooting and how engines work the hard way!! Going through a can of Berryman and fiddling with the jets on my old Q-jet Monte Carlo to try and get a little more jump out of it. Misspent youth for sure. ;)