Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rebuilding the 2.7 six

Almost winter project time, and I'm thinking about tackling the 91 xt6. Don't know much about it except the prior owner said it had an internal metallic noise. He gave up on it after getting a professional mechanics opinion. Engines shot...just not sure how bad until I tear it down.

Has anyone done one of these recently? Is there anything quirky about these motors?

I'm worried about parts availabilty if it needs anything more than a basic overhaul. There are but a handful of these cars in my part of the counrty - and absolutely nothing in the yards. I'm tempted to get one of those "used from Japan" motors, but even those seem VERY hard to come by.

Any pointers, or information on parts sources is greatly appreciated.

thanks, John

chances of a blown engine are slim...but not out of the question

i saw one that over heated so bad the car stopped running, after a cool down everything checked out ok aside from the rad and waterpump

they were very durable workhorses, and were basically an EA82 with 2 cylinders added on. i havent seen one with the block split but i wouldnt be surprised if most of the internals from an EA82 can be substituted in place aside from the major components like cams and crank...

alot of stuff is still availible thru the dealer and there actually is a (very limited) aftermarket at paeco engine components - anyone have thier web address?

hey john, if this job interview gets me in, i will have a decent income, and if you make the trip th PA, i would go with you. if we could make a package deal and get a good price, i will go half on it, you get the motor, i get the suspension. if i start this job it will be within a week from now.

hopefully i can land my hands on the xt6 here in butler. the body is rather rough, rusty, but straight, the bumper moulding is a little crooked, but the whole car is intact.

Miles:

That would be a fun roadie, especially if some of the other Sube brothers come down.

Are you after the front or rear suspension (or both?). If rear is what your after, I'm thinking about letting my 4wd AT go to Jim, and that may free up some of his xt gear. He's also considering doing a fwd conversion, which makes sense for a car like that.

John

if you do decide to put in the turbo pistons, maybe you should also look into doing a twin turbo setup too. It'd be one of a kind and REALLY fast too. I've always wanted to do that but since money is short and my wagon needs help, it hasn't happened yet. But it would be something I would want to see:headbang:

Adam:

I pretty much bought this car on looks only. It was one of those "snooz ya lose" deals. The car was worth the $300 I paid for in parts alone.

The owner had taken it to a reputable shop, and gave up on it after having it diagnosed. From what I gather from the owner, it was likely major internal problem, and he was not willing to pay for the teardown. The car will not crank ( batt is drained) and I have not yet tried to jump start it.

I never did talk to the technician who looked at it. Maybe I should...

John

alleyboy: the xt6 rear and front suspension is waht i'm looking for

more specifically, the rear swingarm and brake assembly only, and the front lowercontrol arm, swaybar, and strut/knuckle assy.

i have jim's 2wd auto's pump shaft, but its missing the inner shaft. would a pump shaft from a 4wd fot a 2wd? i know that one will fit from an e282 2wd auto to an ea81 2wd auto.

governor shafts should fit the same too.

if i dont start this new job over the weekend i will be at jim's tong a tranny swap!