Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Painting the Baja

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 cpiunno

cpiunno

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Denver, Co.

Posted 09 September 2003 - 11:43 AM

I'm painting my 89 GL. The primer and paint cost about $200 and a friend of mine is loaning me the gravity gun. Here is a concept drawing:

Posted Image

Cool, huh. The hood scoop is functional. A sheet metal duct directs air straight into the weber carb. I have the entire interior stripped out of the car (minus the two front seats and the dash). I even spent the time to remove the layer sound-deadening material inside the car. Everything I removed weighed about 100lbs. Good stuff.
I'll update with pictures when I'm finished (which should be within a couple weeks). I call it "The Baja"

#2 JonOfScio

JonOfScio

OMGZ!!! HATCH ATTACK!

• Members
  • 713 posts
  • Corvallis, OR

Posted 09 September 2003 - 12:00 PM

but, calling your hatch "the baja" is kind of weird considering that subaru carries a model of truck called Baja.

I'm doing something similar... a new paintjob, new interior, seats reupholstered, ect.

I'm sure that the real car will look great, as the picture is a little promising (but itself looks okay)

you could probably do without the "rekognize" on the side of the body.

#3 PHATBRAT

PHATBRAT

Subaru Lover

• Members
  • 2,626 posts
  • Mt Holly, NJ

Posted 09 September 2003 - 09:33 PM

I agree, and I also have a question. What are you gonna do about rain and/or carwashes since you have a metal duct straight to the weber. How are you gonna get rid of the water? Boz

#4 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,281 posts
  • Portland

Posted 09 September 2003 - 10:02 PM

Wash by hand, and don't take it out in the rain? :-\ Although a little rain water probably wouldn't hurt - give the cylinders a good steam cleaning.

GD

#5 PHATBRAT

PHATBRAT

Subaru Lover

• Members
  • 2,626 posts
  • Mt Holly, NJ

Posted 09 September 2003 - 10:21 PM

it'll make it run like crap! and if you get enough in there, look out for overheating parts (pistons etc...) because the water and oil do not mix. Then, there's always the worry of internal rust which could scar your cylinders. (This is worse case scenario) Boz

#6 cpiunno

cpiunno

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Denver, Co.

Posted 28 September 2003 - 03:13 PM

It is done. I will take pictures this evening for all to see. Valid concerns about the intake. I did incorporate a 'drain hole' so water will not get into my intake.
I still need to restore my bumpers and POR15 my wheels.

#7 cpiunno

cpiunno

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Denver, Co.

Posted 28 September 2003 - 03:52 PM

The moment of truth.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#8 PHATBRAT

PHATBRAT

Subaru Lover

• Members
  • 2,626 posts
  • Mt Holly, NJ

Posted 28 September 2003 - 10:13 PM

Pretty good!

#9 subynut

subynut

EJ Powa!

• Gold Subscribers
  • 1,409 posts
  • Sierra Vista, AZ

Posted 28 September 2003 - 10:33 PM

That looks cute! I like it. Good job!:clap:

#10 soobme

soobme

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 1,871 posts
  • Medford OR

Posted 28 September 2003 - 11:26 PM

Prity, shiny, I like it!!!:slobber:

#11 Flowmastered87GL

Flowmastered87GL

WCSS Drunk

• Members
  • 6,132 posts
  • Portland, Oregon

Posted 29 September 2003 - 02:14 AM

Does it strike fear into the local hondas with that paint job?? :D

Looks good to me... is that a Gen 1 RS / Gen 2 WRX scoop on there?

#12 SuperRallyRoo

SuperRallyRoo

Defundit.com

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  • Tacoma, Wa.

Posted 29 September 2003 - 02:16 AM

Looks GOOD!:D

#13 toybuilder

toybuilder

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 458 posts
  • Longmont

Posted 29 September 2003 - 09:03 AM

Wow! I hope my paint job comes out looking that good. What kind of gun and paint did you use? What kind of prep work did you do?

You're in Denver? Why don't you come out and show that thing off at the Subaru Bar B Que next weekend? Details about the get together are in the Meet/Greet forum.

#14 cpiunno

cpiunno

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Denver, Co.

Posted 29 September 2003 - 09:31 AM

[i]Looks good to me... is that a Gen 1 RS / Gen 2 WRX scoop on there? [/B]

Yes, that is a "WRX Style" hood scoop on there. I figured I'd keep it in the family. Also the two colors of paint are both original Subaru colors. High Tech Red and Glacier White. I like to keep it in the family. Err.. I mean with cars......

A lot of prep work went into this. I completely sanded the car down to the original primer with a non-orbital sander. I fixed all dents and rust and primered/painted/clearcoated using a gravity gun. I estimate a total of 30 hours of work and $500 in paint/supplies. I will never do it again.

#15 Capman2k

Capman2k

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Cheyenne, Wyoming

Posted 29 September 2003 - 12:20 PM

that's awesome!

I agree, painting a car is a lot of work... I spray painted my Explorer in the driveway in Wyoming over a few months (stupid wind never stops here)... It doesn't look bad, but a lot of work... and despite my efforts to cover the glass, I got overspray all over the place from the wind, so I had to get all that off the windows :madder:...

But yeah... I still like your paint job :burnout: :brow:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users