Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2.5L oil separator plate leak???

Dealer says mine is leaking. $500+ to fix (10% of value of car)

1) What is it? I'm a car guy and I never heard of it. Is it something for horizontally opposed engines?

2) If I were to fix it myself, does the tranny have to be completely removed or can I wiggle it out of the way and get up in there adequately?

3) Do these leaks tend to get worse with time? It's very small right now.

4) I assume this is common. Has anyone got any satisfaction concerning this leak from the factory? It is an obvious design flaw if they are replacing the plastic part with an updated aluminum piece. I am sure I won't get help with the age and milage of my vehicle, just curious.

5) Does anyone have pics of this thing and a pic of it installed? My repair manual shows a cartoon of it but it's basically worthless.

6) Feel free to respond with any and all information. It will be apprecaited. I Gotta do my homework before I get involved in these projects.

Vehicle: '97 Legacy Outback, 2.5L, auto

99 Forester, but they were in there for head gaskets, defective clutch, and the usual stuff so I had it done for insurance. The leak was very small.

I got no help from Subaru on any of this stuff, but I am the second owner and it was an old car.wh GM a few years a go they replaced and engine for me under the same circumstances.

I hope Subaru learns something about warranty work from thier new connection with GM.

here it is:

22-rear_main_and_oil_separator.jpg

the original ones were plastic. when i was doing my head gasket, i tried resealing the plastic one, but it cracked when i was torqueing the screws. so i got the metal one ($16).

bad news is that it is behind the flywheel(mt)/flexplate(at), so you either need to remove the engine or tranny. it could be done by removing the radiator, support the engine and tranny, separate them and push the engine forward (without disconnecting everything), then accessing it. but that is somewhat difficult itself.

i made a site that has info about changing the head gaskets, including removing the motor and changing the clutch. you can find it here