Ultimate Subaru Message Board

OK so I have 96 subaru outback and this just started.

When I push the brake pedal the abs light slow comes on & the gauges all drop to 0(mph & rpm) & the fasten seatbelt light some on & the at oil temp light comes on. Then in a second they go off and the car is fine.

This does not cause the car to stop, it drives fine. also the radio will power off and then power back on. Any ideas, it just started and happens after the car has been running a while. Is it the battery or a fuse?

thanks so much for your help.

This problem may be due to a bad ground in the dash area. To prove it you could make a long jumper from the negative battery post and then place the other end on a ground point in the dash area.

Another possibility is there may be a problem with the power to the dash area. Checking the voltage to the gauges while this is happening will verify that.

ok so today I did not turn on the radio and no problems. For about 2 weeks I have noticed that when the radio is on there is this strange humming noise comming from the speakers that is exactly in tune with the acceleration and shifting of the car.

any suggestions or answers?

thanks so much

• 1 month later...

You should be able to check things out yourself but you should have a voltmeter to check the voltages getting to the dash and the ground connections. From your original post it seems there is a either a bad power connection or ground in the dash area.

If the alternator is at fault, it is not too difficult to replace yourself. Be sure to check the connections on the alternator to see if any are loose. Be aware that the main output lead on the alternator is always hot to the battery. Don't ground it. If you need to disconnect the output lead, remove the negative battery post lead at least.

• 2 weeks later...

You need a digital voltmeter for one thing. It sounds like you may have some alternator whine going on. I would check the amount of AC voltage there is on the alternator output using the meter.

Are you still having trouble with the dash gauges?

Static in the radio in tune with acceleration is a sign the alt is producing AC voltage that is not rectified. This often does'nt show if you just test the DC output voltage like the shop probably did. Take a multimeter, set it to AC voltage and connect the leads between ground and the alt output wire with the engine running. If there is more than 0.5 AC volt, the alternator diodes are bad.

can you replace just the alternator diodes? How hard is it?

Also for the last month I have not turned on the radio and not one time have I had a problem... This only happens with the radio face on(can't find it anywhere) so I have had no problem but it is so boring driving with no tunes. Anyone know of a good electrical/alt reapair shop in Portland, Oregon?

Thanks everyone!

You can replace the diodes but I think you would be better off to replace the alternator with a rebuilt one. I would try to get one from Bosch if you can. They have a good warranty.

I don't see how turning on the radio would make a difference unless there is a power connection problem somewhere.

You can replace the diodes but I think you would be better off to replace the alternator with a rebuilt one. I would try to get one from Bosch if you can. They have a good warranty.

I don't see how turning on the radio would make a difference unless there is a power connection problem somewhere.

That's what I am saying. I don't think it is the alt. the problem ONLY happens if the radio is on. Any other suggestions, I think it may be a faulty wire or a short in the dash, now I just need to trouble shoot it.