Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'84 GL Clutch pedal pin

I've got a GL clutch pedal problem. There is a "pin" that goes thru the clutch pedal arm and holds the cable. This pin looks like it should have a circlip or some sort of retainer. It keeps popping out at the worst time leaving me with no clutch. Anyone had to deal with this and/or suggestions?

Guest subu luvr

its a thin spring metal ring with six inner fingers.

the fingers are real short, maybe a milimeter long...

should be able to find a replacement at your nearest

hardware store.

or you could pull it, drill it, put a washer and cotter pin on it.

I looked at my pin last night, my pin is worn so bad, I worried it may wear in half. So that's where my clutch slop has come from????

There should be a pressure clip type washer locking the pin on.

For what it's worth,

Glenn

82 Hatch, transforming...:temper:

01 Forester, jealous........:madder:

On my wagon when I went to replace the cable for the first time (broke on an on-ramp :madder:), I noticed that the previous mechanic had apparently lost the clip, and used a glob of RTV to hold the pin in. Seems to have done the job, but being the perfectionist that I am, I was NOT going to try that again. I put it in a vice, drilled it, and put a washer and cotter pin on. That's much safer IMHO than that silly spring clip they used in the first place.

GD

Your cable will go before 160k - they don't tend to last very long. When they get "stiff" feeling, replace soon, as it's starting to wear through the rubber outer coating, and will eventually snap. I had one snap on an on-ramp to the freeway - good thing my dad has AAA. After looking at it, it had rubbed till a single strand broke, then it was downhill from there, every time you push in the clutch, that bit of wire would catch, and rip more wires loose. Bad times. Good thing they only cost $19. Takes about 20 minutes to replace and adjust properly.

GD