Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

A/C Problems

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 TROGDOR!

TROGDOR!

Pastor of Muppets

• Members
  • 2,106 posts
  • Morgantown, WV

Posted 06 June 2005 - 08:12 PM

Having some trouble with the A/C in my RX- it's the typical turbo system with the square compressor sitting outside the alternator.

The system was totally dry from when the engine was removed. Yesterday I installed an R134a retrofit kit and charged the system. It worked great, nice and cold. Today I used it on my lunch break from work, and it was still ice cold and strong- until 15 minutes on the road. The A/C compressor suddenly disengaged as if I turned the switch off. Still can't get it to come on. The switch on the dash seems to be working properly (Still adjusts the vents) and the system still has a full charge. All fuses are in good shape. I'm no pro when it comes to A/C systems, and this one already has me stumped. Suggestions?

#2 Cougar

Cougar

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 6,340 posts
  • Anchorage

Posted 06 June 2005 - 09:06 PM

Check the power at the fuse and relay for the compressor. I think they are mounted at on the right hand strut tower.

#3 TROGDOR!

TROGDOR!

Pastor of Muppets

• Members
  • 2,106 posts
  • Morgantown, WV

Posted 07 June 2005 - 10:42 PM

I swear, it's teasing me. The air worked this morning on the way to work. At lunch it didn't work. On the way home, it worked again, and kept blowing nice and cold through all of my errands tonight.

What the crap?

#4 Phaedras

Phaedras

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 305 posts
  • Somerville

Posted 07 June 2005 - 11:31 PM

Yes, that's my problem exactly. Nice and cold when it's working, engine slows to a crawl just like it should :rolleyes: but then decides to quite working for weeks. L
Lucky for you, in your case it's just hours.

#5 subyrally

subyrally

Trust your Turbo-Lust

• Members
  • 2,888 posts
  • frederick, md

Posted 08 June 2005 - 10:33 AM

who needs a/c, neither of my cars have it, the rx doesnt even have the pump, lines, or anything from the stock a/c set up. just roll the windows down and drive fast, youll be happy that way.

#6 Phaedras

Phaedras

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 305 posts
  • Somerville

Posted 08 June 2005 - 01:02 PM

Apparently you have never been in Florida during the summer...:grin:

Anyway, there's always a point where I'd like to sit back and enjoy some artificial chill. Something else, the voltage meter will drop when I hit the AC, even though I still don't get any cold air.

#7 subyrally

subyrally

Trust your Turbo-Lust

• Members
  • 2,888 posts
  • frederick, md

Posted 08 June 2005 - 01:45 PM

i can survive without a/c, not that i enjoy the heat, but i can survive. granted, today is hot enough that i dont want to even go drive around town like i do when im bored. its around 97* as of like 10 minutes ago when i was out. now i remember why i like fall weather.

as for the voltage drop, its most likely because the compressor's electromagnet is trying to engage the the pully to run the compressor.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users