Ultimate Subaru Message Board

A/C Problems

Having some trouble with the A/C in my RX- it's the typical turbo system with the square compressor sitting outside the alternator.

The system was totally dry from when the engine was removed. Yesterday I installed an R134a retrofit kit and charged the system. It worked great, nice and cold. Today I used it on my lunch break from work, and it was still ice cold and strong- until 15 minutes on the road. The A/C compressor suddenly disengaged as if I turned the switch off. Still can't get it to come on. The switch on the dash seems to be working properly (Still adjusts the vents) and the system still has a full charge. All fuses are in good shape. I'm no pro when it comes to A/C systems, and this one already has me stumped. Suggestions?

Apparently you have never been in Florida during the summer...:grin:

Anyway, there's always a point where I'd like to sit back and enjoy some artificial chill. Something else, the voltage meter will drop when I hit the AC, even though I still don't get any cold air.

i can survive without a/c, not that i enjoy the heat, but i can survive. granted, today is hot enough that i dont want to even go drive around town like i do when im bored. its around 97* as of like 10 minutes ago when i was out. now i remember why i like fall weather.

as for the voltage drop, its most likely because the compressor's electromagnet is trying to engage the the pully to run the compressor.