Ultimate Subaru Message Board

megasquirt&EDIS

JWX

I need all the info you guys have. its time for me to start considering it seriously. what happened to the "kits" that was going to be about? I wouldn't mind getting something like that. who all has them running now?

id prefer having the whole mega squirt and edis set up premade and ready to just "plug-in". i dont want to ahve to do any construction on it as im not the best with electriacl assembly. that and im lazy and want to be able to get all in and running in as little time as possible.

id prefer having the whole mega squirt and edis set up premade and ready to just "plug-in". i dont want to ahve to do any construction on it as im not the best with electriacl assembly. that and im lazy and want to be able to get all in and running in as little time as possible.

if you guys buy all the stuff and ship it to me, I can do all of the assembly. I've done plenty of soldering in the past.

I wouldn't mind learning how to do it either for one of my cars possibly also.

I agree!!! I'm far from being an electrical genius and so I don't have the confidence to screw, I mean, put something like this together let alone make it work properly...

maybe we can get together, well, get someone to buy and assemble the components for us, that would cut donw on some of the costs. the other way mentiond, buying the parts and sending em to the person to build it, would cost more than my plan due to more shipping costs. we could get together with who ever builds em, tell em what we want, give em the $$ and they could order the parts and assemble it, for a price of course.

sound reasonable?

Ok, I'll throw my 2 cents in....

Buy it pre-built from rs-autosports. I built mine from a Glenns Garage kit and cooked a couple things while soldering. Stuffing and soldering a board are easy, trouble shooting is a total pain.....I spent probably 3 hours bulding the Squirt and Stimulator and about 30 hours trying to figure out what I did wrong when it wouldn't work :banghead::banghead::banghead:

If you do build it your self, take your time and follow the instructions to the letter, if you get hung up, post on MSEFI.com and get some advice, don't just take a stab at it and see if it works.... Most important, if you build it your self, use sockets for all the ECUs, these things are very heat sensative and get cooked real easy. Sockets will add about $3 to the cost of your kit.

If you buy a prebuilt from RS-Autosports, its been assembled and tested by a pro who also uses megasquirt himself. He's on MSEFI all the time.

Keep in mind regaurdlesss of DIY or prebuilt, THIS IS NOT A PLUG AND PLAY PRODUCT. It takes a lot of head scratching, reading and a fair amount of small fabrication projects. This is especially true of the EDIS portion of the install. I'm not trying to talk anyone out of it cause it's freaking awsome, I just dont want people buying kits and ending up frustrated with a $400 aluminum box and a wad of wire.....

Highly recommend attacking fuel and spark one at a time. Trying to get it running on both from the start is diving in the deep end and makes for way to many variables in tuning. I started with fuel, as we all know, that is the biggest problem with performance out of the EA82T. I still haven't dialed my tune to the point that I want to mess with spark yet. It runs great, better than it did with stock ECU but still have a few areas to fine tune, such as cold-start (have to wait until winter for that) warm up enrichment and accel/decell enrichment.

Above all, get the Megamanual downloaded and READ IT. Don't think that like assembling your new BBQ, you can just figure it out as you go. It's complicated stuff, made a simple as possible but complicated none the less.

Once you get it installed properly, I can provide fuel maps that will get you started....:headbang:

good luck

garner

Most good standalones aren't plug and play, and the ones that are, are for popular cars. I was going to get a pre assembled one. but I wanted to get a "kit" for the EDIS aswell and I remember shadow talking about offering one

Keep in mind regaurdlesss of DIY or prebuilt, THIS IS NOT A PLUG AND PLAY PRODUCT. It takes a lot of head scratching, reading and a fair amount of small fabrication projects. This is especially true of the EDIS portion of the install. I'm not trying to talk anyone out of it cause it's freaking awsome, I just dont want people buying kits and ending up frustrated with a $400 aluminum box and a wad of wire.....

garner

Nice write-up Garner! This is the part that bothers me. I like playing with timing and adjusting air/fuel ratios. Beyond that, I have very little time in all the other details.

I'm really interested in reading more about anyone who has installed this and can talk about the before and after results...not theory.

id like something that has been pre programed and already has the connectors ill need for quick and painless install. i can wire stuff, but i am not good enough to wire up a new computer, that and i cant really solder well enough to be reliable. that and i dont want to try soldering to a componant board.

It is not terribly hard to get the car running, especially now that there are enough people who have done it and can provide at least a base map.

My XT has been running on MS fuel for about 6 months now. The EDIS portion is more difficult because it requires some fabrication work to mount the trigger wheel on the crank pulley somehow.

Definately buy the pre-assembled kit and wiring harness - The RS kit is even better now than when I got mine.

Anyone who can tinker with a EA82T should have little trouble getting one running. I can provide a few maps that should work to get just about anyone started. Then you just need some time to tweak it with a laptop and driving around with an assistant, or some time on a dyno would work too. I'd suggest a Wideband O2 for the easiest tuning, but it can be done with the stock type narrow band one.

But..Garner is right..this isn't like WRX stuff where you just shell out the cash and plug it in, it requires some thinking and problem solving skills. You don't have to be a genius, but some determination and patience will definately be required. The more people that make the conversion, the better it will get, as the knowledge base will start to grow....

will the MS system use the stock sensors on the EA82T or do you have to add extra, & if you're not using EDIS at first then I gues the subaru ECU has to stay and continue running the ignt so kind of dual control -doesnt this confuse the subaru ECU and mess things up?

downloaded the megamanual -its gotta be the way to go- just need to understand it all a bit better first

If you plan on using EDIS or any ignition control in the future then just load the extra code before you get started and just play with the fuel half for now.

You can reconfigure the MS to run the stock sensors using the easytherm program but you will still need to add a IAT sensor. And you can use the stock computer to run the ignition and have the MS control the injection half, or install the extra code and have MS do all the duties for ignition and injection. It is all pretty simply if you take you time and have the computer in front.

Matt

so with just the MS, you still have to have the crank sensor? Or does that just help with the EDIS part? I want to go with just the MS for now and add the EDIS in later if I can. Don't mean to hyjack the thread, I just want to learn more about this as well:D

Reading some of the megamanual -it's starting to take shape in my head!

So an added IAT (where have people put this -any chance of a Pic posted)sensor & other sensors on the EA engine (minus air flow meter) will run the fuel injector side of things :)

Prepared kit from RS to start, wire it up, then fire it up! Sounds very do-able!

Laptop refinements then to compensate for the use of subaru's water and other sensors & all the other tuning aspects of cold start, acel decel, etc.

One wire O2 sensor should do as it must stay pretty hot placed immediately after the turbo or have people gone for preheated O2 sensors or even wide band?

I noticed that you can buy a pre built timing pulley for the EDIS system to fit a Type 1 VW engine (the ford cog is pressed onto a Scat timing pullley) if htere was sufficient demand I'm sure someone would make a similar pulley for the EA -that would take the tricky fabrication out of the ignt set up -anyone interested?

enough thread hijacking for now!

Now I'm wondering if the cam and crank magnetic pick-up from an ej-22 might work. If you use the plate behind the pully and make sure you have the pick-up spaced the same as the ej-22, you should be good to go, right?

-Chuck-

Sounds good, if someone can try this it would be a nicer solution than the ford cog, gues you'd still need the other ignt bits though -from the ford I guess.

I'm a long way off EDIS but will look at in more detail when I get there if noone else has.

habib