Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ten years before exhaust and possible HG problems. Service the EJ22 properly and it will go at least 300k miles.

6 years and about 180k miles and the exhaust on our Outback is basically shot. I'm going to replace the midpipe and muffler for sure this summer, maybe both cats depending on how they look next time I'm under it. The only thing still going strong is the header. 1stsubaruparts is actually the cheapest for the midpipe and muffler, and I found an ebay store where I can get the cats for $150 each.

As far as longevity goes it depends on so many variables it's impossible to predict. Our automatic is starting to get a little goofy, and other things on the car make me think that the next 100k miles are going to be a pain in my arse. When ANY car gets near 200k, struts, springs, and CV joints start getting very tired. The rest of the car should hold up pretty well.

At 10 years and 125kmi, my exhaust still looks good, though I had a flange rust out on me (in an easily reparable manner). I only wish they made the body out of what they made the exhaust from. I have rust patches at just about every point where the three plastic under-rack roof guards attach to the roof. Rust just behind one rear wheel. Rusty engine crossmember. Rusty oil pan. Rusting chips and dents on the hood.

I want a DeLorean! But one with a Subaru engine.

96 legacy 100k miles, still going strong after 10 years. Repairs:

* alternator replacement

* new struts/tires (if you are keeping it, replace the struts.. world of difference in handling)

* camshaft angle sensor replaced

other than that, i've just done the routine maintenance. (oil every 3k, timing belts when needed, etc..)

exhaust still rust-free, interior in good shape.

the legacy seems like a pretty durable car to me; i'd expect mine to last at least another 5 years before disaster strikes (though if the 5EAT goes, the car is going to the junkyard, as it is very expensive to replace.)

pittsburgh isn't the friendliest environment on older cars. keep it sprayed down and dry as much as you can in the winter, treat whatever rust you can before it gets bad. motor should be at about half it's mileage under two conditions. don't run it hot and dont' run it without good oil supply. if you don't do that you won't toast your motor or run into any costly repairs. replace your thermostat, water pump and make sure that radiator is in real good shape. that's the easy way to make 200 or 300,000 miles.