Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a 1991 Legacy, 2.2L, SOHC. It has a massive oil leak in the front. Too much oil to be a crankshaft seal, I think. Looking at the manual, I am guessing that the oil pump housing gasket is leaking. Does this sound right? the oil is dripping from the bottom edge of the timing belt cover. Lots of oil. If I do replace the oil pump gasket, do you recommend using RTV? Black RTV? Or just put it on clean and dry?

Thanks.

I have a 1991 Legacy, 2.2L, SOHC. It has a massive oil leak in the front. Too much oil to be a crankshaft seal, I think. Looking at the manual, I am guessing that the oil pump housing gasket is leaking. Does this sound right? the oil is dripping from the bottom edge of the timing belt cover. Lots of oil. If I do replace the oil pump gasket, do you recommend using RTV? Black RTV? Or just put it on clean and dry?

Thanks.

I had this same problem recently on my 90 legacy. Once you get the timing belt cover off you will probably be able to see where the oil is coming from. There are two cam seals (L/R) and one oil pump seal - sometimes called the crank seal depending which parts store you are in.

If you get the timing belt and covers off and the oil pump looks basically clean, it's probably the O-Ring in the oil pump that needs to be replaced. I recommend taking out the 7 oil pump bolts and pulling the oil pump off the crank - this makes it much easier to get the seal off without damaging the crank or oil pump housing. There are detailed instructions in other threads about how to remove this seal with a prying tool but this is unnecessary IMO if you are removing the oil pump itself.

Use grey RTV - you'll notice the package says "superior oil resistance." I can get you the O-Ring size or mail you one if you want, I have extras now.

I think my parts supplier should have the O ring?? Thank you for the info. What would cause a leak like this? I am wondering if the previous owner neglected the car. It only has 120K miles. Maybe its just old. Sigh.

yeah, they'll have it, but when I got mine I had to sort through a bin to find the one of the right diameter and thickness. They did not have in their stupid computer which was the right one for my car. Be sure you take the old one with you. Mine was 3/32" thickness but I don't remember the diameter