Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Friend of mine just bought a ej15 impreza, do they need premium gas?

I dont think they do.. I dont run anything but the cheap stuff in my impreza (mine is EJ18 USDM version) no pinging, and I even ran 85 octane in it when i was driving cross country (higher elev, they have lower octane available) and it still got 31mpg :D

you could try running the low stuff in there.. if it pings, try the next higher octane, if it pings with the higher stuff, check your timing (did I hear somewhere that the EJ15s have a disty? i could be mistaken)

WTH.......EJ15 there is such an animal?

~Josh~

Yes there was (is), in fact the EJ series goes as follows, EJ15, EJ16, EJ18, EJ20, EJ22, EJ25. The EJ15 and EJ16 were usually only sold in 3rd world countries.

Yes there was (is), in fact the EJ series goes as follows, EJ15, EJ16, EJ18, EJ20, EJ22, EJ25. The EJ15 and EJ16 were usually only sold in 3rd world countries.

Hey! i don't live in a third world country!

However, we do seem to get third world cars, so ill let you away with it.:lol:

Regarding the distributer, i'm not sure, my friend who owns it lives over 400km away (thats considered a long way when you live in New Zealand!), so i can't really go over and check.

Cheers.

Regarding the distributer, i'm not sure, my friend who owns it lives over 400km away (thats considered a long way when you live in New Zealand!), so i can't really go over and check.

Cheers.

Gee I did say 'USUALLY'. :lol:

Cheers.

400km? Isn't that like only 180 miles? That's only a two hour drive man! I have to drive 1700 miles just to see my parents!

Did they make the smaller ej's turbo's also? ej18T buggy or airplane?

My wife is from Timaru and we have a lot of relatives in Kiwi. I quite envy some of your cars, not to mention the high test you can buy is much better than the gas in my CA neighborhood.

What's neat about New Zealand cars is that the logical Kiwis accept any major standard, whether it's european, JDM, or US.

This means Kiwi gets a lot of cars we can't buy here. Since fuel is much more expensive smaller dispalcements are popular.

400km? Isn't that like only 180 miles? That's only a two hour drive man! I have to drive 1700 miles just to see my parents!

Did they make the smaller ej's turbo's also? ej18T buggy or airplane?

250 miles actually. More like a 4.5 hour drive with the twisty NZ roads. I havnt seen or head of a ej18t.

My wife is from Timaru and we have a lot of relatives in Kiwi. I quite envy some of your cars, not to mention the high test you can buy is much better than the gas in my CA neighborhood.

What's neat about New Zealand cars is that the logical Kiwis accept any major standard, whether it's european, JDM, or US.

This means Kiwi gets a lot of cars we can't buy here. Since fuel is much more expensive smaller dispalcements are popular.

Pity about our CRAP diesel. Has hundreds (perhaps even thousands i think) of times the allowed sulfur level for diesel in Europe. Hence we don't get most of those frugal euro diesel cars.

Not sure if I would call importing japans second hand 'rubbish' in absolutely huge numbers Logical!

A huge majority of cars here are second hand Jap imports that have never seen any service in their lives in Japan. Not uncommon for them to be rubbish about 50,000kms after they are imported. And still people buy them.....

about 30 years ago cars were expensive and hard to come by. The South Island looked like a 50s British car museum.

The imports really changed that nad made cars much more available to the average Kiwi. True a lot of them are not cherry, but they are there and available.