Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Trying to identify factory speakers

First let me say howdy! This is my first post and as a week-old first time Subaru owner (2001 Outback) I'm delighted to encounter such a robust community of enthusiastic Subaru owners.

Of course the first thing I started thinking about after buying my Outback was how can I upgrade it. I love my music, but at this point in order to really justify shelling out the cash for new speakers I'd like to identify the speakers currently installed. Is there an easy way to tell which of the two grades of factory speaker is installed by looking at it? My previous car was a 98 Jeep Wrangler, so my ear is admittedly easily charmed by just about any other car stereo I encounter...

My Outback has the tweeter package but only the basic CD player, and no amp/sub. The previous owner (the original owner) couldn't tell me if the speakers were Standard factory or the Upgraded set.

Thanks!

Langdon:

Welcome aboard! To get a good look at the speakers, you'll probably have to take the door panel off to the point where you might as well upgrade them. Seems the consensus is that even the "upgraded" speakers aren't that impressive. You can expect improved sound by going with decent aftermarket speakers, even with the stock HU. That's been my experience. And of course an aftermarket HU with aftermarket speakers will improve it yet again.

FWIW, here's a photo of the stock (not upgraded) speakers vs. the ones I replaced them with in my wife's Impreza:

compare1.jpg

Note the rather large difference.

Steve

Wow, that is a big difference... Thanks a lot, Steve- That's a huge help. I was thinking that if they were already 'upgraded' I'd simply decide to enjoy it, but based on what you and others have said I may as well start thinking about upgrading the whole system aftermarket. Fine with me. :)

The 2001 Outback either comes with 4 Speakers or 8. I hate to say it but I would probably try to get the one with only 4. I try to use Infinity's wherever possible. The ones in the above Photo wont directly fit in the 01 But there is a Infinity Reference 6.5 Inch Shallow Fit that will fit in both the Front and Rear doors.

One of my reasons to get the Impreza was because it actually would fit Infinity's Perfect line which is two steps above the Reference Series. The reference series is great though as well. I have them in my Acura and it sounds great. They just dont handle much power and they wear out quicker. You can power those with your Factory Head or better yet an Aftermarket Receiver.

The Infinity Reference is about equal to what comes stock in your Jeep. I think they were using what was called the Infinity Gold in your Jeep which is made by harmon just for Jeep/ Chrysler etc.. They are about the same as the references.

One problem with the 8 Speaker Setup is that unless you want to power all of your Speakers with an Amp then I wouldnt know how to to wire 8 Speakers into an aftermarket Head Unit and I would definately want an Aftermarket unit at some point. Simply because the Subaru Unit would not have the Features I look for in a Receiver.

I think you would be lucky if you got the NON- PREMIUM sound system and threw in 4 of those Shallow Infinity Reference Speakers and a new Head Unit. Maybe someday get a Sub in there, something simple like the Infinity Basslink and your car would sound great.

So far, sregor13, you're saying just what I wanted to hear. In fact even before reading this I ordered the very speakers you recommended for my 4-speaker system. I'm also considering an underseat sub/amp unit of some sort... I've heard people actually recommend the Subaru sub/amp. Do you have any opinions on the matter? It really would have to go under the seat, which unfortunately rules out Infinity's Basslink.

Thanks!

I have never actually used an under seat amp/sub. They seem cool but simply not something I would use standalone. If nothing else I would just build a box for the rear. I bet your sytem will sound great. I just like the 20-45 Hz Frequency to much to use a Butt kicker or what not. I am now curious and will look into that. Thanks

outback_97: I notice a cap on the aftermarket speaker, did you install that or did it come that way? Is it wired between the two terminals or do you wire through it on only one of the speaker leads?

I realize it may already be mounted and hidden.. but if you remember that would be cool to know. Also, any markings on it as for rating?

Andyjo, THAT's the kind of ingenuity that made this country great! I'll expect equally creative solutions from all of you from now on. :D

i had an idea way back... remove the stare tire, throw it on the roof, and put a very large speaker there :brow:

BigJ:

That was on there when I bought the speaker, these are 2-ways so I'm guessing it's for that. No idea of the rating though, sorry. Maybe you could open the box of one at the store and check it out?

Re: spare tire subwoofer... actually a number of people have fabricated fiberglass / MDF speaker enclosures that fit into the rim of a spare tire. You don't even have to remove the spare! Google "fiberglass spare tire subwoofer" or something to that effect for more. Typically you need an 8" or small enclosure 10" sub for this... the interior volume ends up being pretty small, but it works well. Also, there's at least a few threads on Nasioc about it. I've definitely thought about doing it.

Steve

BigJ:

Re: spare tire subwoofer... actually a number of people have fabricated fiberglass / MDF speaker enclosures that fit into the rim of a spare tire. You don't even have to remove the spare! Google "fiberglass spare tire subwoofer" or something to that effect for more. Typically you need an 8" or small enclosure 10" sub for this... the interior volume ends up being pretty small, but it works well. Also, there's at least a few threads on Nasioc about it. I've definitely thought about doing it.

Steve

If you (Langdon) are considering the subaru sub, or the basslink sub, then a small enclosure that fits in the spare tire should be fine. "back in the day," I had a hatch and wanted to add a sub. I had a custom enclosure/amp deck that was the size of the foot print of the hatch and only about 4" tall. This way I could still put 2 golf bags in the hatch with no problems and have more than enough bass.

you could do the same thing I describe above, and since you don't appear to want a lot of bass, you really wouldn't lose any space. on the back of my forester, there's a "nook" on each side behind the wheel. while it's too small on the forester, you could probably fabricate something to fit there in an outback. I don't know what the back of the outback looks like.

Forget the spare tire- just buy a can of fix-a-flat.

BigJ:

That was on there when I bought the speaker, these are 2-ways so I'm guessing it's for that. No idea of the rating though, sorry. Maybe you could open the box of one at the store and check it out?

That's what I suspected. That cap is wired in series with the tweeter to filter out the low end, because the woofer takes care of that. The rating would give some idea of the amount of filtering going on.

I suspect that is all that's in the "bass blockers" crutchfield's sells. Or used to sell, anyway. Don't use those bass blockers if you see something like this on your speaker, as the extra cap will actually REDUCE the amount of bass "blocked" from the speaker.

Thanks for the info, I didn't know they were doing this now.

If you (Langdon) are considering the subaru sub, or the basslink sub, then a small enclosure that fits in the spare tire should be fine. "back in the day," I had a hatch and wanted to add a sub. I had a custom enclosure/amp deck that was the size of the foot print of the hatch and only about 4" tall. This way I could still put 2 golf bags in the hatch with no problems and have more than enough bass.

You read me right- I don't want the deep bass massage, I just want a full sound with bass where it's called for. The spare tire well thing has gotten me thinking. If I design something outrageous, I'll let you all know!