Ultimate Subaru Message Board

dim head light

for an 88 gl wagon need a wiring diagram or any help with a head light that is dim on high and low beam , where is the relay fitted, any imformation would be greatly appreciated as i have already spent about 8 hours on this.

I know that the relay is located up under the dash, above the fuse box and to the left of the steering wheel. There are four relays there, I think two are for your headlights (someone correct me if I'm wrong)...the ones with all of the black wires. That's about all I know, I'm sure someone smarter will come along soon!

for an 88 gl wagon need a wiring diagram or any help with a head light that is dim on high and low beam , where is the relay fitted, any imformation would be greatly appreciated as i have already spent about 8 hours on this.

The middle two relays on the right strut tower may be what you want, if I remember correctly. I have a manual at home but won't be able to get to it until tomorrow. I will try to check it then.

Have you measured the voltage to the lights to see what it is? I think the lights are turned on by the switch making a ground connection.

Edit:

I think Sister7 may be correct about the relay location and I am thinking of something else.

Checking my manual it shows them to be in the dash as Sister7 stated. The sockets for the relays are black. The other two relays next to them are for the blower motor and the defogger. The socket for the defogger relay is blue.

If only one headlight is having a problem on both low and high beam then it may be the red/black ground wire has a bad connection to ground and is causing this problem. See if there is a voltage drop on that wire when the light is on. It should be at ground potential. If there is a voltage on it then you need to find the bad connection.