Ultimate Subaru Message Board

100 dollar XT runs and drives

Well I finally got down to Juneau to see my 100 dollar car (birthday present from my mom) Awesome lookin car. I love the dark blue subaru used in 86. After a lil bit of brake work, it drives like a charm. The board member I got the car from must have drove the car for a year with BAD front brake pads. The drivers side rotor was wore down to paper thin. One hit with a hammer and I shattered it. Caliper was seized up, holding it all the way out, dragging the brake on that side. Picked up a used caliper for 20 bucks from the only "Subaru" guy down here. New rotor and pads and it was good to go.

I still gotta bleed the brakes cuz I was by myself when I did the work, but other then that, its ready to get on the Alaska Marine Highway and get shipped to Petersburg, where it will serve as my deer hunting rig and grocery getter while I am on the fishing boat this summer.

One question about these MPFI non turbo motors. What is the HP and TQ ratings on the engines? It seems WAY peppier then SPFI engines and my modded carb engine. I'm guessin 10 hp more then the SPFI? It also looks like the redline is higher then my carb'd engine.

Oh yea, if anyone had a spare drivers side door window switch, lemme know, I need one.

thanks for the info on the XT6 one not working with my xt4. I think I'm going to unhook the switch and just rig up a 3 way switch or just unhook the wires and make it so I can just touch wires to make it go up and down.

One thing I did notice is that the window sags a little bit in the back of the door. Kinda making me thing that the motor or regulator is shot.

Anyways, got the brakes bled out today. Thank god for subaru cross brake systems. The XT's are way harder to bleed then wagons because of the lower profile and less space around the tire and fender.