Ultimate Subaru Message Board

PLEASE!!! still need parts asap

I previously asked for help in this forum to get a right front fender for my 1979 brat. I was serious when I asked, and I got a couple replies that weren't very serious. I would be willing to travel to pick up the fender, or pay for shipping to get it here.I also need a carb for this buggy...I would like to get the fender asap, the guy I've got lined up to do the bodywork is ready to get started on it. I will appreciate any and all help that comes my way with regards to this.

I think I tell everyone to remind me when we talk about getting things shipped.I know you asked me and I do have some.I need to keep a set for my self,after that I will have to look and see what's there.

I have some unbelievable,absolutely incredible stage I '76 fenders in maroon.THose have the crease that '78 and up don't have.

At this point I'll hustle on it since I need some dough.

Don't recall talking to you before about the parts I need, I was contacted by a guy named Adam in Oregon and another guy in Woodinville. I'd like the fender to match the left fender that is still on the car. so I'll need a 78- 80, at least that's what the guy at Aarons told me to get.

I hate to admit it but I don't know much about the mechanics of the thing, just know the guy I got it from says it needs a new carb and that it runs really rough and smells of gas alot, I'm just a blonde woman who thinks the car is pretty cool, don't care about it being original, just want it to look like new and run really well, thank you for the tip about the carb, will call around and try to find one around here, Should I try wrecking yards or parts stores to find one?

Well - the carb can be bought in a Kit brand new, and if you have a friend that can use some hand tools and follow directions, it's a pretty easy swap, and will run better afterward than the stock carb ever did - even new. I would put one on for you, but I live in Portland. The kit is about $325. A rebuilt original style carb will cost over $200, and not give you the performance of the Weber. What engine does your Brat have? Is it the 1.6 or the 1.8? I know the Weber will work on a 1.8, but I don't recall if they will go on a 1.6.

GD

I'll call Mountain tech tomorrow and see if they have the fender I need, and how much they want for it if they have one there, about how much is the going rate for a decent fender of this vintage anybody know? I don't want to get ripped off. I know my bodyman could manufacture a fender for me but that would be really expensive and labor intensive. Should I get the carb at a wrecking yard?

You can probably find one at a wrecking yard - but you will need an adaptor plate for the subaru manifold - that will have to be bought new. They are around $35. One from a wrecking yard should be rebuilt, and jetted to your engine, or it won't run right. Rebuilds cost about $50 at shops I know, and jetting can probably be done for you as well. Expect it to not be as easy as the kit, but since it's more custom, it may run even better. Or it may run worse depending on who does the rebuild, and rejetting. Still not sure about the 1.6, but I think it used a hitachi carb much as the 1.8 does, so it should work fine.

GD

The "Kit" is availible brand new through any retailer of Weber carburators. Just tell them what your application is (Subaru Brat, etc). is K730. I just looked here:

http://www.carbsunlimited.com/Weber/weber.htm

And they do indeed list your engine (EA71) and the kit for it is a K730. If you shop around you could probably beat their price on that web site, but not by much.

GD

:banana: WOW, thank you soooo much for all your help!!!!!! You've made me very happy and restored my faith in this site as well... I'll make some calls on the carb tomorrow ,sounds like that will be the easy part,, now the fender is still a problem,, how much do they usually go for ? The one on my Brat is rusted all the way through on the upper edge by the hood and can't be saved, How much $$ is too much $$ for a fender? WC

Oh - and the fender... I'm not sure on the going rate for that vintage. I get fenders from Junk Yards for $25. But those are for stage 2 cars. If you can find one, I would say $50 wouldn't be outrageous. Mind you - I've never bought one, so I'm not sure on that. I would think anything over $100 would be rape (unless they have to ship it).

GD

I guess being over 600 is a good thing huh? , lol,, I'm new to this stuff, I usually only use my computer for emails and such, but this has been fun and very helpful tonight. I'm glad that you gave me the figures on what to expect about the cost. I have a 1962 T-Bird too and found a place in Portland to get parts for it, they have it all... and I got a rear windshield for it for $125.00 last year, shipping was minimal from portland to Renton where I live. Last thing I need is to get "raped" on the price of this fender that I so desperatly need. They seem to be pretty hard to come by in this area, the guy at Aarons said that they "all" rusted out the same way mine did from that era. It's been a real pleasure talking with you General, WC

Yeah - no problem. I try to help with what info I know. I have a friend with a 65 T-Bird - he uses that place too - I think it's called "The Birds Nest" heh

I've learned a LOT from this board - I sugest you buy a Haynes manual, and do some maintenence yourself maybe - use this board for questions you might have. Many things can be done yourself, and NEVER go to one of those quick lube places. See this post:

http://usmb.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2899

We don't need them jacking up a perfectly good vintage soob now do we?

GD

Yup the place I found for Bird parts is "the Birds Nest", it's a great place, would like to find a place like that to get parts for the Brat too. Thanks for sending me to all the threads about the oil change stuff too, I'll avoid that place, and talk someone into doing it for me that knows about these lil buggies, don't want to get my hands dirty or break a nail myself ya know :brow: just kidding. Anyway, it's been fun and very enlightening here this evening but I better call it a night, Again, thank you very much for everything! :clap: Goodnight,, WC