Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Replace EA71in GL (Brat) model with EJ20T

subzero

Hello everyone,

I am among a few in Malaysia still keeping old Subaru in good condition. I owned a GLT '83 model, actually belong to my late father.( sentimental value - grew up in that car).

I recently found a complete front cut of first gen Legacy with EJ20T engine. I wonder if I can replace the old engine EA81 with the EJ20T. Is the space in the old body big enough to accormodate the EJ20.

Thanks.

GeneralDisorder,

Thanks for your reply,

Is it the width of the hood, coz I'm thinking to make use of the spare tyre space to accormodate the EJ20

I made some checking and found out that the width of the '84 model is 3" smaller that the '94 Legacy.

I presume the mounting are the same, correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks

regards

no - the mounting isn't the same - you will have to mix and match mounting hardware, as well as maybe modify the cross-member under the engine. especially if you are going to move it back into the spare tire area. another problem is what to do with the radiator. The EJ20 is long, and it may be hard to fit a radiator in front of it.

GD