Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I had this problem with my 89 Justy, never resolved it, but at least I had 2 keys.

With my '97 Legacy, the dealer gave me ONE key. I asked to have extras made, they made some, but only worked on the locks and not the ignition. I took them back, asked again, went around a couple times until they got snarky with me about it and that they've done all they can.

I've been go various local key places and if they can copy the key, I have the same problem; it works on the locks/trunk but not the ignition. Some places look at it and say "we can't copy a Subaru key, you should go to a dealer"

I went to a different dealer, they said they couldn't do it there, but would send the key in (whatever that means) and get copies made for me. Well that's nice, but I only have the one key.

The poster who broke his key has me kind of nervous now, where have you guys had backup keys made that will actually work in the ignition, too? I always thought there was a code on the key that meant something, but the dealer told me that's not true.

thanks in advance for any help!

Jacqui

Get a hold of WJM here on the board. He works at a dealership and can cut you a key from your VIN #. He did this for me for my '95 Legacy, fast and inexpensive. He can even cut you a key from an STI blank if you want some bling. Good luck.

your dealer is full of it.

i work for subaru, in parts.

there is a key code associated with every key

code can be found by a subaru parts pro by using your vin

this code is used to obtain your cutting sequence.

if they cut a key that does not start your car

you need to make them RECUT the key again

they give you a hard time?

ask for a manager.

this is crap.

if you're ever in Bellevue, WA come see me and i'll sort you out.

Jamie

www.subiegal.com

Thanks, Handtool, I will do that.

Subiegal, I thought so, but it was getting to be far more hassle than it was worth because I went around with them twice with the keys and the third time is when they got snippy with me. This also was the dealer who demanded payment of close to $800 when my alternator failed despite my discovering it was a recalled item. They told me repeatedly the car was out of warranty and that I would have to pay for it, recall or not. Needless to say, I don't go to that dealer anymore and no, I didn't pay for it, I raised holy hell about it, dealt with Subaru of America and resolved it. But when they finally let me pick up my car (a week later) they asked me not to come to them for repairs anymore. As if I would.

The other nearby dealer I tried told me they'd have to send in my key, which I refused to do because I didn't understand why they'd have to do that if there was a code for the key, plus, how would I get home! After that, I just gave up.

I'm not looking for handouts, either, I was/am perfectly willing to pay for spare keys.

Thanks, Handtool, I will do that.

Subiegal, I thought so, but it was getting to be far more hassle than it was worth because I went around with them twice with the keys and the third time is when they got snippy with me. This also was the dealer who demanded payment of close to $800 when my alternator failed despite my discovering it was a recalled item. They told me repeatedly the car was out of warranty and that I would have to pay for it, recall or not. Needless to say, I don't go to that dealer anymore and no, I didn't pay for it, I raised holy hell about it, dealt with Subaru of America and resolved it. But when they finally let me pick up my car (a week later) they asked me not to come to them for repairs anymore. As if I would.

The other nearby dealer I tried told me they'd have to send in my key, which I refused to do because I didn't understand why they'd have to do that if there was a code for the key, plus, how would I get home! After that, I just gave up.

I'm not looking for handouts, either, I was/am perfectly willing to pay for spare keys.

You could also get a blank from a dealer and go to Walmart and have a copy made. They have a very modern machine that does a great job. I had a copy made by them last summer and it works smoother than the original.

I'm in the same position, need a spare set of keys. I recently went to the Toyota dealer for spare keys, they said they could make good keys copying my old, worn ones. Those didn't work, so they made new keys from the VIN for no charge. Done that twice at that dealership. I plan to stop at a Subaru dealer to get new ones cut from the VIN, but the closest is about 45 minutes away.

• 2 weeks later...

Keys that only work on the locks and ignition are called Valet Keys. When you but a car you should get a Master Key and a Valet. or just the master. These guys at the dealership are unusually lazy. They should make you a key pronto. I would like to know the name of this dealer so I never do business with them. If you want to solve this easily take out your passenger door lock and get the 3 or four numbers written on there. Our local Locksmith in this podunk town chages me $8 to make a key from these numbers. The number should also be on the ignition and is usually on the Master Key which it sounds like you donht have. It is just might be easier to take out the Lock instead of the Igntion. I am just dimayed by the incometence of your dealer. If you dont want to post there name on the Board please PM me/. Thanks

Get a hold of WJM here on the board. He works at a dealership and can cut you a key from your VIN #. He did this for me for my '95 Legacy, fast and inexpensive. He can even cut you a key from an STI blank if you want some bling. Good luck.

The key blank you need is actually Datsun/Nissan key DA25. It's a very common Axxes brand key blank. I have occasion to make keys where I work and made my own from just such a blank for my '98 Legacy L. Worked like a charm. However, I have had quite a few Subaru owners come back to the store to have their keys re-cut because they don't work.

I would recommend going to Wal-mart, K-mart, Home Depot, Lowes or any large retailer which duplicates keys. Keep having your key re-cut until it works (keep your receipt and any "packaging"/bags and UPC bar codes). If the key doesn't work on the second try, don't return to the store during the same time of day as the last time you had the key made i.e. avoid having the same person who mis-cut your key try again. Don't tell the 'new' key maker that you've had the key made more than once. Just tell him/her it doesn't work. They may get 'snippy' after the third /fourth time. If so, get a refund and move on to the next retailer and keep trying. You will eventually find someone who has the skill to duplicate your key.

Good luck,

Juan

Sorry I was confused. I thought you said it only worked on the Locks and Ignition. I thought it was a Valet Key. Keeps the Valet Guy from getting into your trunk and glovebox. Either way, no I re-read your post. Yes he is right. It might be a little worn so the cut isnt good enough. Especially with an Automatic Machine. If thats the case I would just take it to an actual locksmith and have them cut it. Alot of those retails stores dont calibrate there Key Machines very often and they dont cut quite as precise as a locksmith. If that is the master key then it should have those numbers stamped on them and you can get a locksmith to make one of those numbers with a code reader.

Hi Guys. This maybe a bit of a long shot, but worth 5 mins of your time anyway.

A few weeks ago I managed to pull my rear box off the exhaust, on a rough bit of road. Whilst underneath my car, my friend who was inspecting the damage, found a neat little plastic case held by a magnet onto the chassis member.

He reckoned it had been there since the car was new, as it looked like the rest of the underseal stuff. Inside the little case was a new master key !!!

Maybe the previous owner had put it there, or maybe its something that Subaru do . I dont know------but it is a good idea anyway. if you get locked out your car for some reason, you have a spare key on the outside of your vehicle, beside you , not back at home, or worse , in your glove box, inside the car.

It was a lucky find. Has anyone else had the same discovery ?

I've had keys cut at local hardware stores that only did locks and trunk. The original key was really worn down...so I assumed that was the reason. I need to go to a dealer and get one cut from my VIN.

Also, the one place I got keys cut...they use Datsun blank keys...

I've heard worn keys are hard on locks. Since I have manual locks, my keys get a lot more use than most, as do all my locks. It's no surprise my keys are already a little worn, and I don't want to make an exact copy of my worn keys. I'll probably get two sets made, the second is usually cheaper after they've already set up the machine.

I'll take a stand for the dealers...

I've had real good service from my Subie Dealers here in SLC. They have cut courtesy keys for both of my Subs over the years and were very nice about it.

I'd try another dealer if you have any others around.

Glenn,

82 SubaruHummer--Several keys made by dealers over the last 20+ years

01 Forester--two keys made by dealers over the last 2+ years

• 2 weeks later...

The last time I had a dupe made for a Subaru key I had to go to a locksmith because the stores I'd gone to--OSH, Home Depot, and some other chains--either didn't have the right blanks or couldn't seem to cut a key that actually worked (the original key had very little wear, too).

The key made at the locksmith cost about 3x what the other stores cost, but since I'd wasted a couple hours on them I figured it was worth it anyway.