Ultimate Subaru Message Board

knocking sound under driver side

i recently had an axle nut come off the front left wheel(freaked me out!!)ever since i replaced it,it drives fine but, whenever i accelarate then let off the gas, run at low rpm's or even out of the blue when i'm turning a corner, this loud knocking that i can feel through the floorboard comes from right below me, and i have no clue what it could be, i'm sure something was damaged when that axle nut came off, i just don't know what. please help!thanx

I'd guess your problem is related to another recent thread in that when the nut was loose, but hadn't come off yet, it allowed the hub to wobble around on the splines of the shaft. Check and see if the splines in the hub are damaged. If they are, the knocking could be the wobbling or the axle splines slipping.

since the nut came off to bein with, maybe you are missing a washer(s) there shoule be the nut, and begind it a flat washer with a beveled edge, and a conical split washer. make sure all these washers are present.

also the flat washer is slightly convex, make sure the convex side is out. this washer is what torques against the cone washer and keeps it all tight.