Ultimate Subaru Message Board

does this make sense?

ok, still pinging, still have the 32 code, swapped the distributor, sprayed carb cleaner around the manifold--no leaks....decided to unplug egr solenoid as i had found that off one time and put it back on...anyway, after unplugging hose and just letting sit there....nothing, no code, no change in idle...nothing.....i would guess that as a minimum i should get a rougher idle because of the hose being off.....

thoughts?

I haven't found a diagram for the SPFI EGR system in any of my manuals (yet), but it sounds like the vacuum source is "ported", as in it is not exposed manifold vacuum. As such, no change in idle would be expected if the hose were removed. And according to my 85' FSM, a code 32 is EGR... might be different for your version/year.

A few thoughts

First... Did you reset your fault code light after you swapped all that stuff?

B... Did you make sure all of your connections are cleaned very good. I've seen a meer dirty connection on my coolant temp sensor cause my engine to die seconds after the engine light come on.

3... Did you make sure your timeing is correct?

Again food for thought, Hope this helps!