Ultimate Subaru Message Board

OK I confirmed the oil leak is coming from the the HGs in my 93 legacy, but as I dont have a lot of time at the moment is there anything I can use to stop the leak temporarily? It's not horrible (about a quart/week..roughly 4-500 mi) and no coolant/oil mix, just the oil dripping onto the exhaust manifold and that smell bothers me, esp if I've been driving for a while. I dont smell it immediately, generally when I'm accelerating or going about 50. I'm not looking for a long term fix or anything, but I just dont have time to fix it soon (I'm looking towards the end of the month)

Spazz698,

You seem to have answered your own question. You know you have the oil leak problem, you are obviously watching it closely so that it doesn't end up frying your engine, and the additional cost of a few quarts of oil until you can get the problem rectified, is the only way to go. Adding oil thickeners or additives will only compromise your drivetrain. I'd advise keeping a close watch on the problem and then getting it corrected as soon as you can do so. Maybe you should consider carrying a fire extinguisher with you, just in case. Question? Are you certain that your leak is from the headgasket and not the valve cover gaskets?

I'm very sure, I replaced the valve cover gaskets less than 4 mo ago and other than the trail that starts from the hgs theres no oil on them at all. I just dont wanna do what I did with those, it went from a small leak to where after 30 min of driving drained half my oil (it of course happened in the middle of the night) Not only that I sat under my car for a good 2 hrs (it was on a lift) cleaning the underside of the car- Thats when I noticed I had a leak, wasnt expecting to see fresh oil down there.

I have a feeling I may haveto give in and buy the gasket set, as high as my miles are (close to 268k if I havent hit it yet) and how it looks like nothings been replaced on this car (I just pulled the original alt. out at the end of march, the only one I've ever seen last more than 6yrs) it's seems like due time for everything to start crapping out lol