Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Thanks for the interesting post! Can you tell me how much the oil filter influences this type of analysis?

To be honest, that is a very complex subject and I doubt I could do it justice. Search on BITOG.

FWIW, I prefer to use oversized filters with good filtering and good quality construction. Amsoil, Mobil 1, Purolator.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I checked out BITOG and there is some pretty interresting stuff to be read. I was hoping to find a recommended oil and filter type, but instead I found tons of information that could potentially be much more valuable. One of the more intriguing things I found is a table of oil brands/weights and what their actual viscosities are. He is currently working on an oil filter performance guide and I hope it includes filtering capability rather than just flow rates. I might just spring for a oil test kit in a few thousand miles, if it could save me $$ by extending my intervals that would be great.

andy

prolly more important that you change on a regular basis with the filter than any particular brand that meets the spec for your car. I have been running Castrol in all my vehicles for last 20 years, the insides are very clean if any disassy is done. In the 91 Legacy 2.2 I use 10W-40 most of the year but in the 90++ Texas summer use 20W-50 per owners manual, with Walmart filters, change at 2500 miles. At almost 248K on the engine still not using oil!

I've got almost 300,000 miles on my car, and over that time I've used everything from that $2.99 gallon jug stuff (I think it used to be called "Turbo XT") at Target, to all the major brands except Pennzoil. No synthetics, either.

I just change it every 5000 miles or so, and use a genuine Subaru oil filter. I've never had any engine problems.

Just my 2 bucks

Oh yeah, I forgot to add:

Doesn't drip (unless I goof something up at change time:lol: ) or consume any oil.