Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

What brand of oil do you use?

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#51 99obw

99obw

this space for rent

• Members
  • 1,595 posts
  • Ithaca area

Posted 20 June 2005 - 02:06 PM

Thanks for the interesting post! Can you tell me how much the oil filter influences this type of analysis?

To be honest, that is a very complex subject and I doubt I could do it justice. Search on BITOG.

FWIW, I prefer to use oversized filters with good filtering and good quality construction. Amsoil, Mobil 1, Purolator.

#52 dreaminlegacy

dreaminlegacy

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • SD

Posted 20 June 2005 - 07:38 PM

Royal Purple

#53 TurboSPFI

TurboSPFI

Banned

• Banned
  • 374 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 02:20 AM

Royal Purple w/ K&N oil filter with Filtermag

#54 langosta39

langosta39

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Coeur d'Alene

Posted 21 June 2005 - 09:35 AM

I checked out BITOG and there is some pretty interresting stuff to be read. I was hoping to find a recommended oil and filter type, but instead I found tons of information that could potentially be much more valuable. One of the more intriguing things I found is a table of oil brands/weights and what their actual viscosities are. He is currently working on an oil filter performance guide and I hope it includes filtering capability rather than just flow rates. I might just spring for a oil test kit in a few thousand miles, if it could save me $$ by extending my intervals that would be great.

andy

#55 gbrand

gbrand

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 379 posts
  • fort worth area

Posted 21 June 2005 - 11:18 PM

prolly more important that you change on a regular basis with the filter than any particular brand that meets the spec for your car. I have been running Castrol in all my vehicles for last 20 years, the insides are very clean if any disassy is done. In the 91 Legacy 2.2 I use 10W-40 most of the year but in the 90++ Texas summer use 20W-50 per owners manual, with Walmart filters, change at 2500 miles. At almost 248K on the engine still not using oil!

#56 NV Zeno

NV Zeno

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,037 posts
  • Ponderosa Ranch, Nevada

Posted 21 June 2005 - 11:26 PM

I've got almost 300,000 miles on my car, and over that time I've used everything from that $2.99 gallon jug stuff (I think it used to be called "Turbo XT") at Target, to all the major brands except Pennzoil. No synthetics, either.

I just change it every 5000 miles or so, and use a genuine Subaru oil filter. I've never had any engine problems.

Just my 2 bucks

Oh yeah, I forgot to add:

Doesn't drip (unless I goof something up at change time:lol: ) or consume any oil.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users