Ultimate Subaru Message Board

replaced temp sender guage still not working

I replaced the temp sender today and at the same time flushed and replaced the coolant which was due. The temp. gauge still swings directly to the middle when the car is started as if its perfectly heated. It does not move even when the car is sitting and idling for 10 minutes. I disconnected the wire to the sender and it does not move from middle when the key is on. I know now its either the wire from the temp gauge grounding or the gauge itself is bad. The sender itself is a major PIA to remove and replace as their are lots of wiring harness etc in the way. After trying to trace the wire I'm about at the point of taking the car in. I can probably replace the gauge but if its a short in the wire I have no idea on how to trace this or for that matter run a new wire. The wire seems to go into a larger group of wires and then who knows where it goes. Anyone ever done this?

I assume you are aware that there are two sensors and one is for the ECU. I think it has two wires going to it though.

If you do have the correct wire then it would seem that the wire to the sensor is open since the gauge did not change when you removed the wire from the sensor. Have you tried checking the voltage to the sensor?

What model car do you have?

It has one wire going to it. The guage is getting power. When I turn on the key or start the car the guage goes from the resting place and swings all the way to 3 o'clock. Even during the middle of winter when I start the car the guage moves directly to this spot. It is indicating that the car is perfectly warmed up and where I would normally expect to see the guage after 10 minutes of driving. It never moves at all once at this spot. So the guage is getting electricty. The car is a 96 Outback.

I assume you are aware that there are two sensors and one is for the ECU. I think it has two wires going to it though.

If you do have the correct wire then it would seem that the wire to the sensor is open since the gauge did not change when you removed the wire from the sensor. Have you tried checking the voltage to the sensor?

What model car do you have?

It does appear that voltage is getting to the gauge alright. I was wondering if you have checked the voltage at the sensor itself to see if it had any there. From the symtoms you describe it sounds like you either replaced the wrong sensor or the wire to the sensor has been broken somehow.

• 3 weeks later...

I had the exact same problem with my '95 legacy 2.2. Temp guage reading halfway as soon as you turn the key. Replaced the sending unit with no change. Today I replaced the guage and it looks to have fixed the problem. It seems that there is something going bad with the guage itself.

• 4 weeks later...

I've had the same problem for a few years now in my 96 OBW (Yes, I know I should do something about this...). The gauge on mine stays around 'C' instad. It will periodically come up about 1/4 but that is it. I have replaced sensors, thermostats to no avail. Is it a real pain in the rear to replace the gauge? How much are they?

Sweden