Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My cousin's 97 Impreza (1.8) started knocking bad on a trip to atlanta. I got a used engine to replace it with, but when I snug it up the last 1/4 inch to the transmission it locks up the motor. If you back it off 1/4 the motor turns over again. Whats up? The used motor was a stick and his car is an auto. I swapped over the auto parts.... ALso how many wire go to the starter? I'm used to 2... 1 main one for power and a smaller one for the selonid?

I've got to get this fixxed tomorrow so he can go home. Any ideas?

Dumb Q#1: When the engine and transmission were mated back together, was the torque converted mounted on the engine or tranny? If on the engine, STOP!!!

Ok, so I don't have other dumbQs...

I don't know Imprezas, but you are likely to have 3 wires to the starter area: The power cable that attaches to the side of the starter, a ground cable that attaches to one of the starter mount bolts, and the solenoid wire that attaches to the solenoid likely with a spade connector.

it was on the tranny, but it had come out with the engine. I'm 99% sure it was seated all the way back in the tranny before reassembly and the engine and tranny will pull all the way closed with very little effort but the the motor will not turn when they are snugged completely up.

I have the ground and the power attached but I do not see one to the selnoid or a terminal for one to attach to.... Does it have more than a ground and a power?

So, when you reattached the TC to the tranny, you turned and pushed and got the right number of clicks and such? If the engine is "seized" when everything is snugged up, this would be my first thing to look at.

Yes, there whould be some sort of wire that attaches to the solenoid to actuate it. I do not have any Legacy/Impreza manuals, so I cannot help you identify what exactly to look for.

*edit - Some other manufacturers do not bother with a separate solenoid power wire/connector, relying on a remote solenoid to switch the power cable. I doubt that Subaru did this, but I do not know. - end edit *

you have to use the auto starter, if your using the auto trans. there are two big gauge wires, one red for power, one black for ground, and one tiny wire with a spade-like connector for the starter solenoid, goes on the little protruding male connector on the starter. did the motor come out of running car? did the motor turn when it was out of the car?

~Josh~

Yes I agree with NorthWet. The TC is not seated properly. I had the same problem with my 90 Legacy when I replaced the transmission. Be careful though not to destroy the tranny pump inside. So Don't try to start it when its locked up! I learn the hard way.

I used the auto starter. How many "turns and clicks" was I suppossed to get when inserting the TQ/C. No Subbie manual and its a new car for me to work on. It's be very easy so far but I haven't run into this before.

I wish I had found this site before I got got the replacement engine! I didn't know a 2.2 or a 2.5 would "swap right in"!

I do not see the smaller third wire for the starter. Does anyone know where/what harness it comes from? Or the spade on the strater either but If I have to take it back out to check the TQ/C, so I'll probaly find it then.

Thanks for the help guys!

I used the auto starter. How many "turns and clicks" was I suppossed to get when inserting the TQ/C. No Subbie manual and its a new car for me to work on. It's be very easy so far but I haven't run into this before.

I wish I had found this site before I got got the replacement engine! I didn't know a 2.2 or a 2.5 would "swap right in"!

I do not see the smaller third wire for the starter. Does anyone know where/what harness it comes from? Or the spade on the strater either but If I have to take it back out to check the TQ/C, so I'll probaly find it then.

Thanks for the help guys!

If you pull your starter out and look at the space between the bell housing and the torque converter it should be about 3/16" space between the two if it's any larger than that the converter is not installed corectly . If it is ok then you should check the locating dowels on the trany and the engine you may have too many in place ??? ( extra from either the original engine or the replacment) it may twist and the bind the engine/ torque converter when tighten

The small wire you are looking for on the starter will be hanging off the firewall about mid way down just right of the brake booster

SEA#3