Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My new suspension (STi take-offs in a 93 Legacy)

jamal

Well, I accidentally posted my for sale ad in here, so I thought I'd turn this into something useful:

I have a 93 Legacy AWD sedan, and I'm in the process of installing 04 STi struts and springs (front go in tomorrow).

The fronts bolt right in, and the rears don't. The rear strut top has a slightly different bolt pattern, so you either need to change the tops, or make new holes. My original plan was to use some group N rear strut tops (which are now for sale), and use my existing spring perches, because I was told they would fit on the STi springs. Unfortunately, the spring perches are too big, and I have no idea if there are perches that will actually fit. I went to a dealership and they didn't have any, so I resorted to option two: making new holes. The bolts on the STi top are spaced a little farther apart than those on my car, so I drilled two holes inside of the inner holes on the strut tower. The plan was to give a little bit of negative camber. The tops didn't fit, though, because they rubbed up against the inside of the tower. So then the two holes became slots and I filed out the outer holes. I was careful to file the outer holes the same amount, so there shouldn't be any wierd alignment problems. I have camber bolts and I'm getting it aligned next week, so I'll find out then in any case. So, with the modified strut towers, everything fit right in and now my 93 Legacy will have new STi suspension. Yay.

The ride height in the rear seems to be the same, and it feels much more solid. My old struts were pretty much done for, so I needed to replace this stuff anyway. I found the suspension used on nasioc. Here's a thread on legacycentral with some pictures and stuff.

Update: Got the fronts in, it rides pretty stiff and handles well, but likes to rotate. There's a little bit of positive rear camber, so I'll need to put in the camber bolts I bought.