Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82T with no MAF????

habib99

turbobug.jpg

Does it look like the MAF is not there on this conversion? If so -how is it running -can the ecu cope without it? I thought air flow/mass was one of the very essential pieces of info for EFI.

I'm beggining to wonder what I can do without for my own transplant as the engine managment wiring is turning out to be pretty difficult to do!

There are other ways of computing air mass/flow. One uses a MAP sensor (Manifold Air Pressure), and is the basis for a popular (at least well-talked about) replacement injector controller, MegaSquirt (MS).

Mega Squirt -you say (in the style of Smithers -Simpsons) So are you telling me that I could do away with all my old ECU stuff and control the injectors/ignt with an aftermarket product - time to search the forums me thinks :D

A recent thread discussing it:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=37557

But perhaps the more definitive thread, if awfully lengthy:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=19123

thanks, started reading them already :D looks good,

arhhhg just spent 2 days removing the loom, ecu and snesors etc from a rusty old wagon to run my EA82T - still I havnt actually worked out where all the wires need to go yet so could save myself a load of hassle and get a mappable system Hmmmm more power and control!

--more to read first :)

The folks who designed MegaSquirt offer it as a kit. If you are handy and electronically capable this could save you some money. Others offer value-added turnkey systems for particular applications, but these are a little more pricey and application specific.

Are you doing a conversion on some other vehicle?

The folks who designed MegaSquirt offer it as a kit. If you are handy and electronically capable this could save you some money. Others offer value-added turnkey systems for particular applications, but these are a little more pricey and application specific.

Are you doing a conversion on some other vehicle?

Yep -putting one EA82T in a 356 Speedster replica and one in a Karmann Ghia, I love these engines -Its a shame almost all the L series cars in the UK have now rusted away - I'm running a legacy day to day with a EJ20 (not as cool by any stretch).

Don't need more than a stock ECU (If I can figure out the wiring) in the 356 but would love to get MS'ed on the Ghia - I will be running an on board PC in the car too so will be able to tune/map on the go! Bit daunting though all especially the physical fabrication of a timing wheel for the ingt system etc -still sure if I put my mind to it I'll be able to do it with a pre soldered kit.