Ultimate Subaru Message Board

what's draining life out of 95 legay battery

i have a 95 legacy ls. about 6 weeks ago something drained the life out of my 3-month old battery (it was wet weeather at the time). once i got it jumped it was fine. a month later, something drained it again (again, wet weather), and it was fine. next day it wouldn't start again. jumped it and got it going. now it's getting drained very quickly. i know there's probably lots of possibilities. any clues or similar experiences with this????

You might move this to the new generation subaru list. But, it sounds like a bad connection some where. Check the ground connections, battery and alt connections as a start. They should be clean and tight. Most auto parts stores will check you charging system for free! It's never a good idea to charge a dead battery from the cars system. It puts an extreem load on the alt.

Yes there are a LOT of possible drains. My '94 Loyale has a fantom leak in it somewhere and I have given up on finding it. I just installed a heavy duty switch that switches the ground on and off. If I know shes gunna be sitting for awhile, I just turn off the switch. Never had any problems with this setup.

To help find the drain you can place an ammeter in series with the negative battery lead and look at the current with everything off on the car. You shouldn't have more than around 80 milliamps of draw. To see what circuit is causing the excess current draw start pulling fuses one at a time to see if you can find the path. The fuse that drops the current flow is the circuit you need to check. A bad alternator can cause a problem also.

sounds like you have an excessive parasidic load on your battery. That or it's possible your alt is doing what my old one did, just charge some of them time but not to where it was supposed to be, the alt wasnt shot YET but it was gonna go within a week or two if I didnt just replace it right then and there. You can cheack for this by starting the car with no load (no ac/heat, radio, lights) then one by one turn them on then up to high, my system started shutting things down after the load got too high