Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My 1991 AWD Legacy has a worn bearing noise in the drive train. The noise sounds like it is comming from the center of the car or the left side, but I hear it loudest when turning left. It does not sound like is comming from the right wheel bearing. That's quiet. Replaced the tires (worn!), still there. I had accidently driven the car with a very loose outer left CV joint for quite some time. I didn't know it was bad, until it broke 100%. Replaced the CV shaft/half shaft or whatever its called. Also replaced the left wheel bearing, was afraid it had been damaged by busted CV shaft. Noise still there. I am now suspecting the the the front differential output bearings that supports the left CV shaft might be damaged. I am assuming there is a bearing there? It is getting louder quickly. Does this sound right? Is it a difficult job, or can I just remove the CV shaft and the seal on the side of the differential to access the bearing? If nothing else, could someone please tell me how many bearings are in the front differential? I am thinking there is one for each CV shaft and one for the main drive shaft?