Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

mystery wire on 85 wagon

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 diluded000

diluded000

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 134 posts
  • Larimer County

Posted 13 June 2005 - 10:21 AM

I have my SPFI (thought it was a carb until I saw the picture in the FSM) EA82 bolted back in the wagon after the transmission swap and am in the process of connecting all of the wires and hoses back up. I mostly labeled them with a paint marker and/or tape, but have at least one mystery wire so far.

If you are standing in front of the car facing the driver, you are facing some sort of round sensor that goes into the throttle body just below where the air cleaner cover attaches to the throttle body. There is red and black pair of wires coming from this sensor that go about 8 inches to the right. The red wire has about a small flat spade connector on it, and is just hanging loose. I looked hard for a place to connect it, but can't find anything. And I'm not positive this is a sensor, it could be a solenoid or actuator. If anybody has one they could look at, or knows off hand where this plugs in, it would be a huge help. I can get a picutre up if it would help, I just didn't want to get my greasy paws all over the digital camera last night.

This thing ran like it was dipped in shi. . . (ahem) honey, before I pulled the motor. I suspect this wire has been loose for some time, and might be why I had such bad cold performance.

thanks
James B

#2 MorganM

MorganM

Do you Subaru?

• Members
  • 8,390 posts
  • TwinCities

Posted 13 June 2005 - 10:55 AM

I belive you are refering to the Idle Air Control Valve. It has a red/black and black wire coming off with a plastic black connector. There is another very similar red/black and black wire with similar plastic black connector; thats for your Injector in the Throttle Body. The mating connectors will be coming from your wire harness off to the 'right' near the battery. The connectors look interchanable but they are proprietary to one another; only goes together one way dotn force it :)

#3 diluded000

diluded000

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 134 posts
  • Larimer County

Posted 13 June 2005 - 11:50 AM

Morgan,

Based on the idle sputtering and stalling, the Idle Air Control sounds like what this is. So I guess the red wire should be going into the same connector as the black wire? Mr Red wire is hanging loose right now, so I will see if there is an open space on the connector that the black wire runs into. Thanks for the info on this, I couldn't figgure out what that thing was from the FSM. Hopefully I can at least start the motor tonite, then get the different D/R shift linkage worked out.

- James B

#4 MorganM

MorganM

Do you Subaru?

• Members
  • 8,390 posts
  • TwinCities

Posted 13 June 2005 - 12:29 PM

Yes two wires per connector that we are refering to here. Two for the IAC and two for the injector/TB. Two from the wire harnes to IAC and two from the wire harness to the injector/TB. Grand total of 8 wires and 4 connectors. Hopefully I'm not confusing you more but it sounds like you are getting it squared away.

#5 diluded000

diluded000

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 134 posts
  • Larimer County

Posted 13 June 2005 - 02:17 PM

Yes two wires per connector that we are refering to here. Two for the IAC and two for the injector/TB. Two from the wire harnes to IAC and two from the wire harness to the injector/TB. Grand total of 8 wires and 4 connectors. Hopefully I'm not confusing you more but it sounds like you are getting it squared away.

Makes sense to me. I will get under the hood (figuratively since the hood is removed) after work tonite and let you know how it goes.

- James B

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users