Ultimate Subaru Message Board

92 Loyale Issue...Ideas?

Greetings All,

I'm stumped! While driving my old friend 92 Loyale, the check battery and brake fluid inicator lights, in perfect unison, will glow ever so dimly, then gradually light up brightly, then fade down or go out entirely. I replaced the alternator and the problem stopped for two weeks. Now it's back again. The battery is fine and the brake fluid full. ????????????

Any ideas would be most appreciated. Many thanks!!

Those lights are in the field circuit of the alternator. It would seem your new unit has failed. If a new alternator solves this be sure to check the output lead of the alternator to the positive battery post and engine ground to the battery ground. Make sure there is no voltage drop between the points. This will cause the alternator to overwork. It may be a good idea to have the battery load tested also.

Those lights are in the field circuit of the alternator. It would seem your new unit has failed. If a new alternator solves this be sure to check the output lead of the alternator to the positive battery post and engine ground to the battery ground. Make sure there is no voltage drop between the points. This will cause the alternator to overwork. It may be a good idea to have the battery load tested also.

Thanks, Glen. I'll check that out...!

When mine did this, it was the diodes in the rectifier (all of which are in the alternator) that were shot. I had my oem alternator rebuilt at an alternator shop. After they renewed the brushes, bushings etc, it was the diodes that turned bad. New diodes and no problems since.