Ultimate Subaru Message Board

oil pressage gauge install Q

JWX

Hey JWX

I just did a gauge install (see the “Oil Pressure” thread), the tubing kit was just long enough to go from the sender to the console straight line over the top of the engine (not the best route). I’d look for a long run tube kit, you can use a coupler but it’s just another leak point. Try not to kink the tube and avoid sharp wear points, I ran the line through the firewall in the speedo grommet.

Gary

I had problems when i installed mine on my '83 GL. The tube was long enough, i ran it under the engine, then up to the firewall and came through with some heater pipes or AC lines or something.

The problem I had, was running the line. It kept melting from the exhaust, and if that line melts, you develop a very bad oil leak.

The 1984 GL I bought already had it ran and installed, and they did a real good job. But it was done 4 or 5 years ago, and the line was hard and crusty. I went to remove my stereo one day, and had to remove the oil gauge. The line snapped and i couldnt get anything to reconnect it.

Try to get one with a long tube. The one i got was something like 6' long or 5', but it wasnt long enough.

-Brian

Originally posted by TheSubaruJunkie

Elec gauges suck. Never accurate. I preffer manual over anything automatic :)

-Brian

Most gauges, electric or mechanical are fairly inaccurate, truly accurate gauges cost big money (test instrument grade). But its really not that important, even factory gauges with no numbers at all are just as useful. The real use of the gauge is to establish a baseline reading during normal operation so you will know when something is out of range, the actual numbers are of little concern. I installed the mechanical gauge only to diagnose whether the problem was with the gauge or the oil pump, once I replace the electric ones sender the mechanical will come out as the stock one tells me all I need to know (when working properly :D ).

Gary

:banana: you just gotta love the banana :banana: