Ultimate Subaru Message Board

lost keyless entry remote, alarm is going off help

I have unhooked the negitive battery cable to stop the alarm but now when I reconnect the power the security setting in my 1996 subaru outback legacy causes a slow flash from the turn signals similar to the hazard lights. The original recommended technique is to use the keyless entry remote, but since I do not have this, does anyone know if there is a reset switch and if there is one what does it look like and where exactly is the switch located. without resetting this, the car will continually lose battery power.

Thanks in advance the help

Ebay is a great place for remotes...

My car didn't come with any so I got them off Ebay for $10.

(then I found out my car didn't come with the factory installed keyless system) :-\

((then I got the factory keyless off ebay)) :D

Oh ya Welcome to the Board!

Glenn,

82 SubaruHummer--no remotes or keys!

01 Forester--ebay remotes and keyless.

I'm not sure if this will work for your model or not. You could try turning the ignition on and off three times with the drivers door open. I think that is what I needed to do on my '01 Outback.

Nope. That won't work. The 96 uses a Code Alarm system, while your 01 uses an Apline, I beleive. Just look under the dash for a button, near the fuse panel. Hold in this button while turning the ingition key to ON. That should disable the alarm.

RCoaster.

This is from the link I gave previously...

Programming or Overriding the Alarm when you have lost the remote

Open driver's door.

Turn ignition key to 'On'

Press and *hold programming button* in (see diagram, button under dashboard)

After 15 seconds the the door locks will cycle 3 times. Do not release Programming button

Press lock (left) button the remotes to be programmed. The door locks will cycle one time.

Exit programming mode by releasing Programming button under dashboard and turning key to off.

codealarmremote1.JPGCode Alarm Programming Button is under dashboard on the kick panel by the driver's left knee, left of the steering column. If you can't find it, it might still be tucked up in the wiring harness higher up in that same general area. The botton is recessed in a plastic ring (see diagram).

i'm not sure how to completely disable it... but to stop it from beeping, unlock the driver's door with the key. that seems to stop 90% of the car alarms i've had go off on me (and the kid's across the street who had his going off for about 15 min before i got annoyed and ran out there and told him what to do).

Hey, Rizzo--did you also tell him where to go to do it?!!

i was nice this time, they were clueless and very thankful... but next time their friends come and sit outside their house honking the horn instead of ringing the doorbell or sit out there with their god awful music (usually some form of rap) blasting and shaking my house... i might flip.