Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1800 into '78?

I was wondering if the 1800 bolts right up to the trans-axle in my '78 brat. i know that the engines are the same size, exterior dimensions-wise, but i wasn't quite sure about the internals, splines, etc. i was rebuilding my 1600 when i scored this 1800 for free, and it's only got like 35000 original miles on it. i was really hopin' to use it with out pullin' the transaxle, but it's no biggie if i have to is it? lemme know asap if ya got any info for me. thanks a ton,

Flynt

If the 1800 has the starter top mounted, then yes it will bolt in. If it has a side mounted starter (will be off to the driver's side) then it won't unless you either A. get an 1800 tranny that will have the same bellhousing that matches the engine or B. if it'll work, bolt the 1600 belhousing to the 1800 engine and it should mate up.

thanks,

option b was my original plan. just have the 1800 engine bolt right to the 1600 trans-axle and bell housing, etc. and, how's wiring match up? as far as i can see, everything looks the same or very easily changable. anything i should be aware of? thanks for your help.

Flynt

everything should be the same since they did use the same carb depending on the year of car it was taken from. If it's the two barrel Hitachi, it'll be the same but if it is the one barrel Carter-Weber, you'll have to do a swap to the two barrel in order for it to be the same. Search around, a few people have swapped and posted about it

welcome!

i looked into this...

ok there is no such thing as a top mounted starter on an 1800 engine...

i went and found the only 81 brat in the area and took a look...

if you can get the bellhousing to fit then you're half way there...

you also need the belly pan from and 1800... or fab something to make it fit... the mounting points aren't the same from what i saw...

The EA81 is wider than the EA71 as it has a longer stroke to give it the cc rating of 1800. The bellhousing of a EA71 will not fit the EA81. The intake manifold of a EA71 will not fit a EA81. The starter motor is on the top of the EA71 and on the side in the EA81.

so, back to my original question....am i going to be able to fit the ea81 into by brat with ease, or am i gonna need to do some fab work, etc.? i planned on taking the whole transaxle, and engine out as one. i was pretty sure they wouldn't match up, i was just checking. thanks for all the help.

Flynt

the EA-81 tranny will fit in and the holes to mount the tranny mounts are there and should be tapped so it can be easily bolted in

you will need the clutch cable from the doner car

the linkage for the main shifter should work but the 4wd shifter might need to be modified a lil bit at the end to make it work but should be ok for the rest of it cause the holes are there for the shifter tent

the 1800 will work just need to get the throttle cable from the doner too IIRC but all and all everything should fit

• 1 month later...