Ultimate Subaru Message Board

If I remember correctly, OnStar is not just an add-on, it's part and parcel of the body control modules including the ECM, Air Bag Module, and Interior controller. OnStar calls in when the AirBags deploy, can read Ck Engine codes, GPS locations, hands free communication and as all the commercials show, unlocking doors. I haven't seen it as an Add On, unless GM is now pre-wiring vehicles for it, and installing jumpers in un-used connectors when the Onstar module isn't there. (and there are a lot of them) OnStar in a vehicle is like a Virus of Wires that take over heading to that module.

It also requires that small 'rubber duckie' antenna on the roof, as the roof acts as a ground plane.

To me it would be easier to remove a N/A engine and drop in a Turbo engine, wiring harnesses, ECM and other sensors needed than to add OnStar to a vehicle not equippped to take it.

My $.02 from what I have seen....

Ferret,

You're probably right on track with your observation. I've seen after market On Star units but they all state that they're for GM vehicles. Just thought that it would be a good option to have.

Thanks for your reply!

Small part (5-10%). Onstar is offered on some Outback/Legacy's, but the wiring diagram is outrageous. I see it as a factory option only, Not a dealer installed option. Maybe Someday....with the CAN bus replacing OBDII may make it easier since all the onboard modules will communicate with a universal code across all mfgrs. Not true today (Ford has their own OBDII, as does GM, Then Mopar, Europe and the Asian mfgrs use ISO9141). But they are all slowly converting to Can-bus. Guess I have to invest in another adapter/reader one of these days, if I continue fixing cars in the neighborhood.

There's a movement afoot to use the wonderful Constar technology as a means to impose another tax on the peasants: a driving tax ...as in pay by the mile.

Also I'd be willing to wager a sporting (small) amount of money that folks who are currently driving around with Constar, are having the data shared with their dealer, their insurance provider, and various LE agencies without their knowledge. Ahh... but that's a good thing right? :confused: