Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

How do you remove cv axels

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Vertigo

Vertigo

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Phoenix AZ

Posted 10 September 2003 - 05:28 PM

I need the replace the seals that go to the axles in my transmission cause they are leaking badly and I was wondering if there is a trick and what tools might need to be used to speed up the job?

Vertigo

#2 GLCraig

GLCraig

Livin' the live

• Members
  • 2,706 posts
  • LV, Washington

Posted 10 September 2003 - 05:49 PM

I have some good news, you don't need to completely remove the axles, you only need to disconnect them from the transmission. You need to set the front end on jack stands; the tires need to be off the ground. Locate the spring pin that goes through the inner joint, using a 3/16 roll pin punch, tap it out. Now you need to slide the inner joint off of the stub axle. Now depending on different things the joint will just slide right off or not. If the joint slides freely but won't come off all the way, try turning the steering wheel all the way in one direction. If that doesn’t allow the joint to come clear off, you will need to pop the ball joint out of the steering knuckle. The joint should come off now.

#3 Martin

Martin

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 860 posts
  • Victoria, BC, Canada

Posted 10 September 2003 - 11:00 PM

i think the nice pin punch is part # 42885 from sears becasue it's the perfect length for the job. you can also just loosen the front struts inside the engine compartment a bit and that usually has enough play so the joint will come off without having to mess around with ball joints.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users