Ultimate Subaru Message Board

On what I might be able to sell this vehicle for?

1996 Subaru 2.5GT wagon

182,000 miles

-needs transmission work, possibly replacement

-has bad clutch pack problem

-passanger side has minor cosmetic damage

-presently runs, but transmission leaks oil which causes lots of smoke

IMO this car would be best suited for parts, but I'm interested in any opinions.

Thanks,

Ben

I live in Newton, MA

I just looked at a car similar to that, except it also needed engine work. The guy was asking $700 and had several lookers. I passed. That was a 1992. So you might be able to sell it for $1000 if you are honest with the buyer. Maybe not. I don't know, maybe its worth a try?? It is a 1996 - that should be worth something! Is the engine good? Have you been changing the oil regularly? Timing belt up to date? If the engine is good and well cared for, it would definately be worth something. If the engine is bad too, than $700 is probably a closer bet. I have never heard of a tranny putting smoke out the tail pipe. Is that what is happening?

oil has been changed religiously, timning belt was changed once, on schedule so another is probably coming due. The smoke comes from under the car, not the tail pipe. The brakes are new, the suspension is not.

The engine runs quite well, all engine seals were replaced a couple years ago...your numbers fit with what I thought i might be able to get...with the new car donation rules, selling may be a better option for me.

Thanks,

Ben