Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82T broken fuel rail and What are these parts?? :)

Hi again, In my quest to get these two engines going I seek further advice from you all and your amazing knowledge of the EA side of the force!

The fuel rail is broken on one of my engines in the circle on the piccie, that pipe is not present on any other EA82 I've seen! It goes to a T with the throtle body and then to the canister thingy, other engines I've seen just go from cannister to throtle body but not on to this point (where mine is broken). Does anyone know what will happen if I just block this off?

Also any chance someone can tell me where the three fuel pipes labelled 1,2,3 go - I know which one goes to the filter on in the engine bay but where do they all need to go after that?

Fuel%20Rail.jpg

Finally, can anyone ID these parts for me -trying to build a loom to run this engine should be easy but I am finding it very difficult for some reason (Lord help me when it comes to fitting a megasquirt system!!)

Mystery%20bits.JPG

thanks a million again

habib :)

i am a big fan of gettin it runing first, then hacking up the harness...

:D hee hee -that would also be my approach but I've got this engine from someone else and the loom/ecu from someone else (different) and it was all cut up in to pieces :(

Still someone must know what these are, once I've id'd everything I'll be able to patch things together I think -at least enough to eventually run MegaSquirt but I need a certain amount of ecu action to run the ignition before I go EDIS. (it would help if I had the right wiring diagram for the year but I think the loom and the engine I have are from two different years --ahh the joys!

It'l be all the more satisfying when it goes :)

i may help with the fuel lines. Fuel flows from the filter, through the hard lines, feeds all the injectors, and then to the FPR. That hard line on the FPR is the return line. The return line to the tank can probably be identified using compressed air.

Manufacturing your own harness is not the way to go. I know the 85/86 engine harnesses are vastly different from the 87 and newer. Been also told a JDM is unique to a JDM engine. The ECU also has to "match" the vintage of the engine. 85 and 86 turbo engines used one ECU and newer models used something totally different. You seem to have a mismatch of parts. First need to determine what year engine/intake you have and ditto for the ECU.

Once you know the intake sensors and air flow meter and ECU "match", then just buy a used stock wiring harness.

do you have a mechanical or electronic disty? basically is the cap held on with screws or clips. does it have one pigtail with a white plastic plug, or a long pigtail with a big fat plug and 2 wires to the coil?

describe the air box, does it have a small MAF withy a black top or a big cast metal one as in the flapper style?

do you have a mechanical or electronic disty? basically is the cap held on with screws or clips. does it have one pigtail with a white plastic plug, or a long pigtail with a big fat plug and 2 wires to the coil?

describe the air box, does it have a small MAF withy a black top or a big cast metal one as in the flapper style?

OK so my disty -the cap is held on with screws and has 4 wires comming out of it (a plastic thing on its side) -(excluding the HT leads!): there are two connectors, one round, one flat(single wire) and then two loose wires BW and Y.:

Disty.jpg

but I do have another disty: this one doesnt have a plstic ting on its side and has no vacum advance, aslo it has a single connector.

Disty2.jpg

The Air Meter is a metal one with a flap inside.

And the ECU I'm hoping will run all this -at least the ignt side of things (so I can get a MegaSquirt hooked up) is a 3 plug type:

ECUcrop.jpg

I'm getting closer and closer to working the whole system out!

Also thought I'd post the answers to some of my earlier questions as I find them (incase anyone ever searches this thread):

In the first diagram:

1 is feul return (to tank)

2 is Feul Supply (from pump)

3 is Evaporation tube (to top of tank via seperator etc)

Still dont know what that broken pipe is (in the green circle)

And dont know what thos electrical bits are

Can anyone tell me if the 'knock control unit' referred to on a wiring diagram is seperate from the ECU (physically) and where it is? (I'm using a 1986 wiring diagram as it seems to match most of what I've got!)

thanks again :D

ps Miles Fox -love your tech articles -they have come in very handy indeed!